Keep them origanal or max power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deane x

Car
C350e S205 2016
Just wanted to see what every ones thoughts where : Keep them MBs origanal , change a bit like facelift or amg bits or go full max power on them ... I like to add a bit of facelift but nothing over the top , but that's me what do you guys think ??

Each to their own I think. Everyone is an individual after all.

I've often changed bits on cars but I don't do usually do too much.

My current E55 is the most I've ever done to a car but I could still return it to standard.

Arguably you can put off a lot of buyers - indeed I would prefer to buy standard unless I knew the owner / car.

I like to personalise my cars but always keep it so they can be returned back to original if needed.

I don't tend to mess about much really. IMHO it's usually better to save up and buy a newer/more powerful/faster etc car than to try building something that already exists by trying to make something look like an AMG or facelift when it's not etc.

When you consider the resale value and increase in insurance costs etc it seldom seems worthwhile to me.

Cheapest 'modification' is therefore an upgrade :) :thumb:

I like to personalise my cars but always keep it so they can be returned back to original if needed.

Totally agree I like to change some cosmetic things to make it "my" Merc. Beyond that ... nope not for me! :thumb:

I prefer for things to be kept visually stock, or as it could have rolled off the line, but am not adverse to a bit of under bonnet action

I don't tend to mess about much really. IMHO it's usually better to save up and buy a newer/more powerful/faster etc car than to try building something that already exists by trying to make something look like an AMG or facelift when it's not etc.

When you consider the resale value and increase in insurance costs etc it seldom seems worthwhile to me.

Where's the fun in that :D

Some of Bruce's neighbours weren't adverse to a bit of over bonnet action...

(it's a long story) :cool:.

Lol. I couldn't come up with something as funny as that with that opportunity.

:D

I like to change parts but usually keep it to LEDs or genuine bits that I prefer. Styling is a very personal thing and I think its a case of whatever you like just do it. There will always be people who like what you've done and some that don't but life's too short to worry I reckon.

Where's the fun in that :D

Getting to own/drive a variety of different cars and usually going up in the world car wise :D

Seriously though, if you buy cars that don't depreciate too much (ie have done most/all of their depreciation and/or could increase in value) you can own some great cars without the financial penalty.

I think you did the right thing with your CLS55. It's obvious that you're a MB addict, and from your previous cars you'd obviously always liked the AMG look/image - as well as upgrading your models to whatever options etc you liked too. Now you've got the real thing :thumb:

I guess now you can concentrate on keeping it tidy and the cash you used to spend on mods can buy the extra petrol and cover some of the additional running costs (insurance/parts etc) :cool:

I just find it amazing when people go out and buy a mid-range model with standard brakes/suspension/body styling or whatever then spend ££££ trying to build a car that already exists? Surely cheaper to borrow the extra if needed and buy the real thing in the first place - any associated extra costs would probably be more than saved come resale and during the ownership period with the cash saved on mods and insurance etc.

I guess on that note - if you're doing something modification wise purely because it's exactly what you need/want etc and it's not available to 'buy' then I guess it makes sense :)

Getting to own/drive a variety of different cars and usually going up in the world car wise :D

Seriously though, if you buy cars that don't depreciate too much (ie have done most/all of their depreciation and/or could increase in value) you can own some great cars without the financial penalty.

I think you did the right thing with your CLS55. It's obvious that you're a MB addict, and from your previous cars you'd obviously always liked the AMG look/image - as well as upgrading your models to whatever options etc you liked too. Now you've got the real thing :thumb:

I guess now you can concentrate on keeping it tidy and the cash you used to spend on mods can buy the extra petrol and cover some of the additional running costs (insurance/parts etc) :cool:

I just find it amazing when people go out and buy a mid-range model with standard brakes/suspension/body styling or whatever then spend ££££ trying to build a car that already exists? Surely cheaper to borrow the extra if needed and buy the real thing in the first place - any associated extra costs would probably be more than saved come resale and during the ownership period with the cash saved on mods and insurance etc.

I guess on that note - if you're doing something modification wise purely because it's exactly what you need/want etc and it's not available to 'buy' then I guess it makes sense :)
so this is not your cup of tea then lol Mercedes-Benz SL500 - Black Series SL65 AMG Replica ** FMBSH ** [ LPG ] | eBay

The thing is with my '55, however fun/fast it is, I really miss the old days of modding. :(

I bought my C209 clk in 2008 and got a great deal on it at the time, so much so that I turned a blind eye to it being relatively poverty spec.

Aside from the low spec, I never really got on with many of the aspects of the car and pretty much from the first week my search began for a post facelift, lwb, high spec W220 cdi.
It took a good couple of years before I found one as I had never been so picky about buying the right car before.
Apart from upgrading the wheels and the stereo just a little, I don't feel the need to touch it in any way and I'll probably keep the car forever to be honest, it already really doesn't owe me anything as it's been so good to us over the last few years.

This story really demonstrates what Will is talking about. Luckily I didn't really lose out on the CLK, despite it being a mistake.
Take your time and look for the right car, doesn't need to be extreme like my year long searches, but don't jump at the first car you find as it will cost you more in the long run.

Not really. Would rather have an SL55 and £10k in the bank to be honest :)

But - come on, pre-facelift SL500 painted orange. Now worth £25k!

R230s are cheap as chips now. I'd be surprised if they made any more than £10k and then only for someone who is desperate to be seen.

Can't see the resemblance to an SL65 myself. Didn't they have a fixed roof?

A waste of money and a waste of a good cheap R230 for someone. Early SL500s like that are normally under £10k.

Not really. Would rather have an SL55 and £10k in the bank to be honest :)

But - come on, pre-facelift SL500 painted orange. Now worth £25k!

R230s are cheap as chips now. I'd be surprised if they made any more than £10k and then only for someone who is desperate to be seen.

Can't see the resemblance to an SL65 myself. Didn't they have a fixed roof?

A waste of money and a waste of a good cheap R230 for someone. Early SL500s like that are normally under £10k.
Lol I am with you there, think I will refrain from the orange on my S500L then ;)

I won't be able to look you in face, Will! :eek:;)

I think a set of OE wheels is okay - factory models often come with a choice of wheel designs and they are after all a swappable/resaleable item anyway :)

People who upbadge once they've fitted a set of wheels though :ban: :D

I sort of like that orange on the SL. Oh dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom