Keeping a car if you do hardly use it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in the same situation with my C63. I've got a MK5 golf gti as a daily car which I love. My wife has an aygo and so the C63 sits in the drive way gathering dust. Sorta with I sold it when the values were high.

Sell it and put the cash in the bank , then watch it dwindle on things like diy , holidays and stuff for the house and when it is all gone then wonder why you sold it.

Seriously , keep it and enjoy it when you can - if finances allow.

I am in the same position with the bikes , hardly ever use them due to shifts / weather etc. but they are there when i want them.

Kenny

Lets face it - nobody 'needs' an AMG Merc. We all know that. But it's not exclusively an economic decision, is it?

Who in this section doesn't get a great deal of satisfaction from driving, talking, looking-at or thinking about over-engined luxury automobiles. After all, that's why we're here.

We need prompts, support and reminders to justify the (often significant) expense. People who know you may not understand your passion - but I think it's safe to say most here will.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to make financial choices and factor in pleasure, what else will give YOU the same satisfaction?

Go for a drive in the AMG and then ask yourself. Only you can decide if it's "worth it".

For me, no amount of holidays or home improvements would be able to substitute the joy of an open road and a glorious engine note...

If you can afford to keep it and enjoy it do so, life is too short not to enjoy what gives you pleasure.
There have been times in the past where I have taken a car or one of my motorbikes to it's usual MOT place and the guy has worked out the only mileage I'd done was that back from the MOT place and to it again a year later. This has left me scratching my head a few times thinking 'did I really not use that bike for a year'?

There have been times in the past where I have taken a car or one of my motorbikes to it's usual MOT place and the guy has worked out the only mileage I'd done was that back from the MOT place and to it again a year later. This has left me scratching my head a few times thinking 'did I really not use that bike for a year'?

^THAT is pretty hard to justify mate :dk:

Sorry that sounds critical and if I had the space I would probably be hoarding vehicles. But seriously unless its an appreciating classic, why would you not use it for a year?

Last edited:
I would sell it because it doesn't sound as though the car has a sufficient emotional connection with you. When I've owned fast Audis I would do as you do - take the wife's Mini to the shops as it wasn't worth moving it to get my car out of the garage. But I will now spend 10 mins *****ing around moving the cars around just for a 10 min run to Sainsbury's in the C63. I commute to work in it even though I could get a tram and it would be quicker and cheaper. I grab any excuse to go out in it because even a 5 min journey is worth it. You have to have an emotional connection to performance cars to justify owning them - if that isn't there then get rid.

Last year between MOTs I did 283 miles in my old Audi quattro - and on average it is around 364 miles per year since 2006. Still worth owning it though as After 12 years of ownership it's part of the family - I have owned it longer than some of my kids have been around - also helps since it is an appreciating asset value wise.

My opinion is to sell it and buy a SL55, that way you still have a fast amg but in a completely different package to a normal tintop car, might make driving it a bit more special plus your other half may enjoy the top down driving more in an SL that the C63?

That's half the problem. I have a works vehicle for work, if I go anywhere with the Wife we go in hers (she hates the 63) and I have even just got my daughter a car, but as she is not 17 until November, I often find myself going for the groceries ect in that! 2009 Citroen C1!!!
Perhaps I'm just getting old!

So the reality is, if the wife liked it it would probably be used more.

So ask the wife what she'd like to replace it with that would also interest you?

An SLK55, and SL63,a Porsche 911, Cayman or Boxster or something?

It seems daft keeping something that doesn't get any use, having something special in the garage to go out on a sunny Sunday is great but you've both got to want to enjoy it.

^THAT is pretty hard to justify mate :dk:

Sorry that sounds critical and if I had the space I would probably be hoarding vehicles. But seriously unless its an appreciating classic, why would you not use it for a year?

Not at all, it was my Hughie Hancox restored 1955 Triumph T100 so it didn't do it any harm.

Have to say i am considering selling mine but for different reasons its a 6000 mile 14 plate

Absolutely keep it. Life's too short to think about downgrading unless you plan on upgrading something else (like the house). You'll get next to nothing in a savings account and maybe 7-10% in a moderate risk ISA which is nice but not guaranteed and also not life changing. A low millage C63 may even appreciate (last of the high capacity NA engines as people keep telling us). The Z4MC I just sold averaged 10% appreciation a year for the 6 years I had it. Granted I bought at the absolute bottom of the market (remember when Ferrari 456s were £20k, Vanquishes £30k and the Clio V6 I should have bought £12k!!) but still I don't see the C63s losing a lot of money from here. I live in central London so don't drive daily, average around 3k a year but if you can't have something that makes you smile at the weekends then what's the point.

Cars are hopeless investments unless they gain a lot of value quickly. They need serviced, repaired when they inventively break, fueled, insured and taxed. Can you honestly say the BMW made you money when you factored in the costs of actually running it.

Keep it, look forward to using it and look after it. Can't count the times I've moved on my daily driver which I've kept mint to the benefit of others who want a practical classic, the last one was a black 2000 Audi A4 Quattro Turbo Sport, 138k part ex'd it for a W211 e320 CDI Sport, 3 year later I saw my Audi last weekend and the guy who has it no doubt is keeping it beautifully and it will survive by the look of it. In my garage I have a 6 volt stock 62 VW beetle 1200 deluxe that is my weekender and enjoyment especially for weather like today, would love to shake the hand of the person who gave it the decision to survive, I've owned it for 14 years and I do 2 hour chunks of work on it, pick which bit and clean/restore it and it is my escape.
Sell it only if you have to is my view, and we're all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say a car as an investment at the low to mid end is questionable for sure.

However often at the higher end they make a great deal of sense. I wish I could have afforded a McLaren F1 back in the late 80's for 850k. You cant buy one for less than 5m now. Not a bad return even allowing for 25 years of running costs.

Kinda connected, I have a motorcycle that I've not ridden for over 10 years,, but I can't bring myself to sell it, even though it's worth around £10K to the right buyer.

Go with your heart, unless the economics are prohibitive.

Sorry just read back from the first post OP. I am in a very similar situation but not quite identical. I have an as new Maserati 4200 2007/07 that I spent a year finding & bought from the 1st owner 3 years ago with 11k miles. He kept it in a garage under an indoor cover, never drove in the rain & never saw the winter weather. I have kept it exactly the same. It has done just under 14k miles now and is pretty much not far off as new. It has appreciated slightly & is certainly not going to depreciate ever I imagine now. As I have insurance that covers me on up-to 10 cars the running costs are not silly high. Maybe 1k per year for servicing/maintenance/consumables.

It is a pure occasional toy and a real special event each time it goes out. It goes to Brooklands twice a year and to some forum meets events & Ace Cafe. I can't see me selling it ever. What would be the point. What can you get at that price that compares or is better?

The only difference to your situation is the C63 may depreciate a smidge & IMHO although an absolutely lovely/cracking car is it special enough as an occasional toy. I might sell it and get something more special that suits your situation & requirements better. However if you love it then keep it & don't worry about the low & occasional use. Don't feel guilty about it or think it doesn't make sense. Who cares if it makes sense. Just enjoy it when you can. You are only here once

Reactions: WIN
ToeKnee said:
My opinion is to sell it and buy a SL55, that way you still have a fast amg but in a completely different package to a normal tintop car, might make driving it a bit more special plus your other half may enjoy the top down driving more in an SL that the C63?

That's exactly what I did. Moved to London and I now do sub 5k miles a year. Bought a good value SL55 and couldn't be happier. The 6.2 sounds better but is a better all rounder.

I don't really need my SLK55 as we have 2 other mundane cars that I use mostly but on a day like today I cant wait to get it in for a blast.
I have had nice cars and sold them due to lack of use but the reality is ,they bring pleasure and I miss not having a nice Sunday car when I have sold them.
I would say keep it.

Wow, lots of replies, seems a lot of others in the same or similar position. I don’t know where to start…

I have always been a car nut but recently owning and maintaining them has become more of a chore. Especially keeping them clean. Increase in other road users and poor road quality have also taken from the experience. But I know, if I sell, a couple of weeks will go by and I will be looking for something to fill the empty space in the garage…..

I have thought about buying something more Wife friendly, but the things that I love in a car are the things she hates! Every journey in the C63 is an occasion, nothing else I have ever owned really comes. Well maybe my old M3 CSL but I seemed to have more time to enjoy that!

I have tried the small 2 seater sports car, and it’s just not for me.

I’m not even sure of the Value, it is a 2014 C63 AMG Saloon in Iridium Silver 14,212 miles Warranty in place March 2018 all the usual bits HK, command, Reverse cam ect, non-PP but has the factory LSD, Eurocharge V5 and V6 with handheld and secondary CAT delete. I am the second owner. If advertised prices are to be believed one of the big plus points it does seems to be depreciating very slowly, which makes more sense to keep as an occasional toy.

Anyway, another weekend has gone by with no use… My daughter has requested I take her and her friends to the prom in a couple of weeks’ time though…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom