Keeping Battery Charged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HBR211

I have a 55 plate E55 and am going away for 3 months does anyone know if these battery conditioners work without the ignition key in place ? I used have a Porsche and you just plugged it in closed the door and it did what it was to do.

Thanks

HBR211 said:
I have a 55 plate E55 and am going away for 3 months does anyone know if these battery conditioners work without the ignition key in place ? I used have a Porsche and you just plugged it in closed the door and it did what it was to do.

Thanks

If you mean by using the cigarette lighter, then the answer is No. The ignition switch has to be on for this to be in circuit.

As the main battery for your car is in the boot, the connection will only be safe if the car is locked in a garage.

Brian WH said:
If you mean by using the cigarette lighter, then the answer is No. The ignition switch has to be on for this to be in circuit.

On both our VW and our Audi the socket at the front is permanently live, think it is on the R129 too (but not 100% sure on that one).

Oh, and the Accu-mate chargers have an optional external socket for connecting the lead to the battery while the vehicle is securely locked up.

HBR211 said:

Thanks

Just to play safe, I suggest you give me the use of your car while you are away, I'll make sure the battery stays charged!:devil::D

I got a battery charger/conditioner made by Ring... It cost me about £30 and just leave it on the battery and it keeps the battery charge topped up... very safe too, if one of the clamps slip it turns itself off etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom