Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't sell mine. I give them away. But... I realise this thread is old. But mine lay well through the winter and are going on 4 years old and still laying almost every day. They do free range most of the time. Perhaps that is why?

We have a large garden with an overgrown bank that they enjoy. But they don't dig the garden up, or the flower beds.

Not wanting to pour cold water on the parade - when I was a very young nipper (in other words, the best part of 60 years ago!!), my parents kept a few chickens for the eggs and occasional Sunday roast. I helped Dad cleaning out the coop one weekend - next thing, I'm in hospital with Croup and damned near died (our Doctor came to the house and used a spoon to retrieve my tongue, which I'd swallowed and thus could not breathe - and hold it safe while we waited for the ambulance).

Doctors blamed it on the chicken coup and helping Dad clean it. By the time I was allowed home from hospital, there was no sign of coop, chickens or anything to do with them, and the whole area had been thoroughly disinfected.

Last edited:
Doctors blamed it on the chicken coup and helping Dad clean it. By the time I was allowed home from hospital, there was no sign of coop, chickens or anything to do with them, and the whole area had been thoroughly disinfected.

and a KFC built in its place.

lol

ok, not a great chicken & egg joke, but I atleast had to have a crack at it. ;)

silver, I suspect you're not just cracked but addled!! :eek::eek:

Stop poaching his jokes.

I have ducks and geese.
I won't be replacing the ducks, they make me laugh but they are messy.

Many many years ago, I stayed at a friends house at Christmas and over Christmas night, the cat managed to catch and bring a live duck into the kitchen through the catflap. Having over indulged the previous evening we awoke to the sound of desperate quacks and went to investigate. The terrified duck had emptied its bowels all over the kitchen and so the kitchen had to be thoroughly cleaned. Christmas dinner did not include that duck (or the cat) but it was served at 7pm in the evening.

Sounds a bit of a Del Boy scheme. In the unlikely event planning was approved for what would be a commercial egg factory, you'd need hundreds of chickens to make any reasonable money after your set up costs, and that's before you employ someone 7 days/week to look after them for you.

Why not let the tenants of the flats use the garden and sell it as a feature of the building. Maybe they could have their own individual plots - charge them more for the benefit.

Hi all just after some advice re the above,just rang the council who say it is legal and the neighbours can only complain because of

1 The noise

2 The smell

I own a large detached house ( i will be converting the house to six flats for rental income ) with a approx 60 x 130 foot rear garden i am thinking of keeping chickens there with a view to selling the eggs,does anybody here do so or have any knowledge that could assist me ?

cheers

Don't rely on them as your sole means of income...

You might find it hard to make hens meet! :p

Sorry I couldn't resist :D I'll get me coat...

Seriously, good luck with the chickens! :)

S.

This thread is 2 years old. :rolleyes:

Can we all be pleasant and stay 'sunny-side-up' ?

I'm no eggspert on these things but I think this thread is turning fowl.

Has it been cracked before,if not "I think the whole idea is fowl."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom