Keeping Headlights Clear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive never had to concern myself with this issue- Ive an 18-year old MGTF and its lights are as good as the day it rolled off the line at Cowley.
We have had a few E-classes over the years- they suffered it, but i knew no better and ignored it (they were the wifes and she rarely drove of a night) but the MOT man said CLK 230 were boarderline, so I decided to investigate and do something about it. This car is a toy, but its kept outside and ill just keep an eye on them.
I may well take you lead on this and just keep them clean and a coat of resin polish on them (rather like i do for the rest of the bodywork)

I used wet and dry paper from 600 to 3000 in steps cleaning off each time then compound and megs plastic polish with a machine polisher. Crystal clear . I didn't use a coating and they are still Crystal after nearly three years. About 20 mins each light.

If very slightly look milky or just to keep them crystal clear, machine polish lights using fine cutting compound, then use a half decent long acting wax like Collinite 476, not the shiniest of waxes by far but it lasts quite a long time and is cheap. Ideal winter wax for complete motor I have found.
I also cant see the point of lacquer on lights, you are just creating another problem for basically a quick fix that's not any quicker.

This:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok, my ML270 had milky lights, not too bad, but bought a cheap kit, used cordless drill as suggested, polished them all up, they looked a treat. The kit came with a wipe on sealer, half why through i stupidly replied to a phone call, when i went back to them it had dried, and i could not put any over the top, ended up stripping them back again and re polishing.
I put them back in the car, intending to get some clear coat and spray them, but , time has caught up and i have not done that, all i have been doing is every month or so, giving them a good polish with Tee Cut, then a coat of clear wax. They still look nice and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom