Keeping new leather Matt looking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
What do you guys think the best product for keeping new leather looking matt is?
I do not like the leather to go shiny as it can do after a while.
All answers appreciated!

Use Gliptone cleaner and conditioners. Gives excellent results and does not impart any shine.

Oh and a lovely smell of leather!

I find a grubby Airedale terrier does the job on the back seat!

Another thumbs up for Gliptone. Key here is to use it regularly (once a month) for maintaining the matt look.

I am not an expert so don't shoot me down:

As regards leather care there has been a great deal of debate on detailing world from "leather experts". Some (who appear to be well qualified) argue that modern auto leather has coatings on it that do not require "conditioning" in that these conditioners cannot penetrate these coatings. They argue that conditioners sit on top of the top coat of the leather and attract dust and dirt which can damage the top coat of the leather by abrasion.

These people argue that cleaning is all that is required (some advocate the use of "protectorant" coatings). They claim that leather conditioners are only suited to leather without modern topcoats, and that manufacturers are cashing in on people's beliefs that leather needs to be "fed" or "conditioned".

Personally I only clean my leather seats (with a leather cleaner). I will not post what I use (if you are dying to know pm me), that way I cannot be accused of "plugging" someone's product.

Again - I am no expert but thought all views should be aired:)

I am not an expert so don't shoot me down:

As regards leather care there has been a great deal of debate on detailing world from "leather experts". Some (who appear to be well qualified) argue that modern auto leather has coatings on it that do not require "conditioning" in that these conditioners cannot penetrate these coatings. They argue that conditioners sit on top of the top coat of the leather and attract dust and dirt which can damage the top coat of the leather by abrasion.

These people argue that cleaning is all that is required (some advocate the use of "protectorant" coatings). They claim that leather conditioners are only suited to leather without modern topcoats, and that manufacturers are cashing in on people's beliefs that leather needs to be "fed" or "conditioned".

Personally I only clean my leather seats (with a leather cleaner). I will not post what I use (if you are dying to know pm me), that way I cannot be accused of "plugging" someone's product.

Again - I am no expert but thought all views should be aired:)

Quite correct, up to a point!

Standard leathers are PU coated and impervious but finer quality leathers such as nappa and passion are 'naked' and will absorb.

Easy check is to place a drop of water on the leather. If it just sits there, coated. If it is absorbed, naked.

Coated leather just need a wipe down with a damp cloth, no point in applying any conditioners.

Gliptone is a water based conditioner and easily absorbed into my nappa seats. It never need 'buffing' or "remove excess after 10mins"

Be very cautious about using oil based products, they will clog the leather and attract dirt.

And make it shiny!

I only use G12 Gliptone cleaner. The OP asked about keeping leather matt - a good cleaner like G12 removes the dirt and grease on the leather surface and doing so monthly keep the leather looking like it did when new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom