Keeping the Windscreen Wash from Freezing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
Another handy trick is to add some teaspoons of white spirit into your windshield washer fluid. This way you can sit in the warmth and comfort of your car, simply pressing a button and seeing the ice melt right in front of you.

I am about to buy some rubbing alcohol to add, but google the effect of white spirit, cos I keep that in stock.

Any thoughts?

Another handy trick is to add some teaspoons of white spirit into your windshield washer fluid. This way you can sit in the warmth and comfort of your car, simply pressing a button and seeing the ice melt right in front of you.

I am about to buy some rubbing alcohol to add, but google the effect of white spirit, cos I keep that in stock.

Any thoughts?
Will the rubber windscreen surround and paint like white spirit?

Over the last 15 years or so I've found that the Mercedes-Benz Winter-Fit screenwash additive works better than virtually any other I've tried. It's right up there with Decosol Power De-Icer which is also brilliant.

Something to bear in mind is that mixing different additives can and sometimes does result in crystallisation blocking washer jets and the pump scavenge feed.

I used to use Meths. I've no idea what's in there now. Could be plain water for all I know. Another thing to worry about, as both cars are currently frozen!

i have used the halfords stuff in previous cars and never had a problem and since getting my mercedes nearly 3 years ago i have only used the mercedes winterfit stuff and it is excellent i use it all year round but i must be really economical with the washers as i have only ever topped up the washer bottle 3 times since owning the car i also turn off the auto fold mirrors every winter and turn them back on in spring .

i also turn off the auto fold mirrors every winter and turn them back on in spring .

Can I ask why?

Ahh, ok.

Holts Winter Screenwash Concentrate works well, 1 to 9 dilution for summer increasing to 1 to 2 for autumn/spring and neat for winter. main car lives on front driveway, screenwash worked straight away front and back today. Lidl used to do a screenwash good to -60 used neat, unfortunately haven't seen it for a couple of years and I ran out, hence tried the Holts.

I’m also a Mercedes Winterfit (and Summerfit fan). I’ve just got through a couple of cases dosing up the cars we’re using, but strangely, and for the first time ever the jets are freezing on Mrs D’s car, and I wonder whether it’s just not mixing. Maybe need to pump a load through to see if it improves. In the meantime I need to order more Winterfit.

I’m also a Mercedes Winterfit (and Summerfit fan). I’ve just got through a couple of cases dosing up the cars we’re using, but strangely, and for the first time ever the jets are freezing on Mrs D’s car, and I wonder whether it’s just not mixing. Maybe need to pump a load through to see if it improves. In the meantime I need to order more Winterfit.
Winterfit 1:1 ratio always worked superb for me.

i have used the halfords stuff in previous cars and never had a problem and since getting my mercedes nearly 3 years ago i have only used the mercedes winterfit stuff and it is excellent i use it all year round but i must be really economical with the washers as i have only ever topped up the washer bottle 3 times since owning the car i also turn off the auto fold mirrors every winter and turn them back on in spring .
Only ever fold the mirrors if you really really have to , otherwise just leave them out.

Cheap vodka stops your screenwash from freezing

+1 for this stuff. I've used it for years with no problems. And Mrs S says it smells like Vodka and Lime.

Many, many moons ago when I was in Germany it was cheaper to buy Vodka in the NAAFI that it was to buy Screen Wash Fluid! 🤫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom