Keeping Up Appearances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Came back from France on Le Scuttle on Saturday (had a week in the Ardèche on the bike, but that’s another story) and had cause to wander back through a number of carriages to see some friends who we were travelling with who had been caught up in the boarding queue.

Now those who have used Le Scuttle before will know that many passengers take the opportunity of the enforced break from driving to have a snack or whatever, but I was more than a little amused when I happened upon a couple in a CLK who were happily eating their lunch off china plates with knives and forks. I know us Mercedes owners are discerning people, but it really was a moment Hyacinth Bucket would have been proud of :D

Came back from France on Le Scuttle on Saturday (had a week in the Ardèche on the bike, but that’s another story) and had cause to wander back through a number of carriages to see some friends who we were travelling with who had been caught up in the boarding queue.

Now those who have used Le Scuttle before will know that many passengers take the opportunity of the enforced break from driving to have a snack or whatever, but I was more than a little amused when I happened upon a couple in a CLK who were happily eating their lunch off china plates with knives and forks. I know us Mercedes owners are discerning people, but it really was a moment Hyacinth Bucket would have been proud of :D

You lucky git, used to go through the ardeche every year on our biking trip with the lads, usually about 10 of us, some cracking roads with plenty of knee down opportunities.

Did you do the canoe trip down the ardeche and through the gorge, think it was 26km the last time I did it.

Route Napoleon is the road of my dreams and also le grand ballon which is in the north east IIRC.
Had to get rid of the bike when junior arrived 3 years ago but had a deal with the wife that I can get a new one in 2 years, can't wait, think it's going to be the 1098 Ducati. Anyone had any experience of running one? Be interesting to hear some thoughts.
Kurt

My wife and I had a similar experience on the way to France via Le Shuttle recently. There were 3 cars in our particular 'carriage' and a gap at the end by the doors. As I went for a walk/stretch of the legs I saw a Japanese family with rug on the floor all sitting in a circle eating their breakfast. :D

Some years ago, returning from St Emilion area - us in Porsche 944S, friends in Renault Espace with mucho vino on board, plus cheese and biscuits - corkscrew, glasses, excellent way to pass the trip through the tunnel!

Seems perfectly civilised to me.

I remember picnics at Oulton Park in the summer watching the racing from the bank at Knickerbrook with the family; tartan rug spread out, and a wicker hamper basket emptied out all over it. Wine, picnic food and racing.

What a way to wile away a few pleasant hours!

I guess it depends when you last were there but there is now a hospitality until near where the concrete hardstanding was overlooking Knickerbrook AND most of the tracks around the infield areas have been tarred.

All since Dr Palmer took over - generally a great improvement.

Paddock much bigger too.

Ahhhhh........... happy days indeed. :)

You lucky git
I know :D
Did you do the canoe trip down the ardeche and through the gorge, think it was 26km the last time I did it.
No - that's far too energetic for me! I did enjoy a blast along side it though :rock:
Route Napoleon is the road of my dreams and also le grand ballon which is in the north east IIRC.
Have ridden the Route Napoleon a couple of times and drove it last year in my wife's SLK350. Great fun! The Grand Ballon is in the Vosges, which together with the Alsace is one of my other favourite biking areas in France. I've had some seriously good trips there in the past :thumb:

Last edited:
Is there any other way to partake of lunch in a Mercedes? :dk:

We need the other story.

With pictures.
OK, I'll try to write something up over the next couple of days. Funnily enough, I couldn't bring myself to keep destroying the flow of the ride by stopping to take loads of piccies, but I do have a couple that'll set the scene :thumb:
(but no gloating)
Not sure I can manage that bit... ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom