Kennerton Magni

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
I'm currently considering some new cans to listen to music. I've currently got some Sennheiser HD580s, which are lovely to listen to, but open backed. Unfortunately, due to my tinnitus, I often listen to music in bed, consequently I need something with a closed back to avoid the old woman from moaning about the music.

I have been searching around the web and have found the Kennerton Magni which get very good reviews. Granted, they're not cheap, but I don't want something that's going to be to big a change from open backed. I like to hear everything in the tracks I'm listening to, enjoying a good soundstage and clarity.

Anybody here had any experience of the Magni, or other Kennerton models. The Magni are circa £700.

Wow!! What do you put the music through??
Various sources, from smartphone to higher end Yamaha amp. Planning to invest in more headphone dedicated equipment.

Incidentally, now torn between the Magni and the LSA HP-2 Ultra.

The product you mention looks very nice but you really need to try before you buy to see if it meets your expectations with a product like this imho. Maybe ask for a money back if not satisfied trial pre purchase?

Have you considered using your ears to listen with without blasting them with headsets at ridiculous cost? Ask yourself how can they justify that sort of money, for a couple of plastic headphones, crazy. You may even find your tinnitus improves! 🤔

Have you considered using your ears to listen with without blasting them with headsets at ridiculous cost? Ask yourself how can they justify that sort of money, for a couple of plastic headphones, crazy. You may even find your tinnitus improves! 🤔
I don't listen at loud volumes. However, it would be loud enough to disturb my wife at night.

The product you mention looks very nice but you really need to try before you buy to see if it meets your expectations with a product like this imho. Maybe ask for a money back if not satisfied trial pre purchase?
They do a 30 day money back guarantee, as they appreciate you need to be able to try before committing.

To me they’re high end.
When it comes down to it, which headphones are best is very much a personal choice. I wanted wireless (Bluetooth in this case, though they can also operate via cable), effective noise cancelling for travel, comfort, good battery life, decent sound quality and not eye-wateringly expensive.

So they're not the cheapest, but in my view are good value. I don't feel the need (or have the ears) for anything better. There is no doubt that better and more expensive sets are available from an array of manufacturers.

BTW, This seems like a good review of the Magni..:

Last edited:
Well, for now I have bought some more Sennheiser headphones, the Momentum 3. Having read a few more reviews etc.. I'm thinking about saving a bit longer and going for the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, with a slight modification that apparently makes them even better. As I have a landmark birthday at the end of the year, they'd make a lovely gift to self!😁

Well, for now I have bought some more Sennheiser headphones, the Momentum 3. Having read a few more reviews etc.. I'm thinking about saving a bit longer and going for the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, with a slight modification that apparently makes them even better. As I have a landmark birthday at the end of the year, they'd make a lovely gift to self!😁
I hope you enjoy your new cans.

I hope you enjoy your new cans.
If I don't they'll go back.
I also bought my 16yr old a pair of Sennheiser HD599, as after hearing my HD580 he was rather less than impressed with his current headphones!😄

Initial thoughts:
Not bad. Not as refined or spacious sounding as my HD580 Precision headphones, but then I didn't expect them to be, as the Momentum are a closed back design vs the open back of the HD580.

Stylistically, I rather like them. I went for a sort of oatmeal colour, rather than boring black, and they certainly go well with my penchant for taupe and brown coloured clothing.

Feature wise, they certainly pack a fair bit in. Smart assistant, ie Alexa, active noise cancelling, phone call capability, etc..

I certainly got a shock when someone phoned whilst I was listening to music. Not only was I not expecting it, but the clarity was very good.

In terms of noise cancelling, my initial impression is very favourable. I was able to turn the TV to full volume and barely noticed it.

The phone app is a bit cr@p, but then I probably won't make much use of it. However, it does allow you to use Tile to locate your headphones, should you misplace them.

Ultimately, then, yes, they're not as good as a decent pair of open backed headphones, but, for the money, they do do a pretty good job and shall be staying in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom