Kensington Neighbours See Red Over Stripy House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can understand the owner's frustration... we had a planning application turned down for a totally nonsensical reason. It can be very very annoying.

Of course we don't know the details, the application may have been turned down for a perfectly good reason.... but the Council can be silly sometimes.

"She added: "It's very fluorescent and very garish. Without sounding very pretentious it isn't very Kensington. It's more Camden or something like that."

As soon as someone says "without sounding pretentious" you know they are going to say something pretensious!

markjay said:
I can understand the owner's frustration... we had a planning application turned down for a totally nonsensical reason. It can be very very annoying. Of course we don't know the details, the application may have been turned down for a perfectly good reason.... but the Council can be silly sometimes.
I believe it was rejected on a change of policy by Chelsea Planning/Council on Basement Development. Her application was to demolish the existing property. Dig out a x storey basement then rebuild the house. A six year project. It also looks like a change of use from "current" business to residential. She will now just let it rot I expect. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

While normally I might have had a laugh at this---- the following phrase caught my eye.

The multimillion-pound house received its makeover shortly after an application to demolish it and build a new house with a two-storey basement was turned down by Kensington and Chelsea Council.

As a next door neighbour I too might have baulked at the prospect of the folks next door tunnelling beside my house foundations .
quote:---
In 2001 the borough of Kensington & Chelsea received 46 planning applications for basements; last year 2014 it received 450.

Deep concerns: the trouble with basement conversions | Life and style | The Guardian

Nice JAG though- you get a better class of hoodlum down Kensington and Chelsea

Last edited:
The High Court action for a striped house. I think the owner should paint it bright yellow just prior to the case being called, if it ever makes it the far.

Whatever the outcome I hope the owner doesn't back down gets some suitable degree of PP.

Some people just don't know where to draw the line.

Looks very chic, it would be when they put little stars on it that I'd be worried.....

Last edited:
'Saskia Moyle, 18, who lives with her father opposite the colourful house, spoke of her shock when she saw the painting in progress.

"...when I came back there were people on ladders painting it"... "They didn't finish one of the stripes because as soon as I arrived they got off the ladders and left.... the half-finished stripe is driving me mad. It drives me insane." '

He he... proper OCD then :thumb:

'Saskia Moyle, 18, who lives with her father opposite the colourful house, spoke of her shock when she saw the painting in progress.

"...when I came back there were people on ladders painting it"... "They didn't finish one of the stripes because as soon as I arrived they got off the ladders and left.... the half-finished stripe is driving me mad. It drives me insane." '

He he... proper OCD then :thumb:

With her around - anyone with sense would have come off the ladder...

I like it.

Vertical stripes - slimming don't you think?

"...an act that does not require permission from the council."

Actually it does require planning permission, because PP is required when you 'Change the external appearance of a building'.

Even flood lighting can be deemed to require PP in some circumstances! :eek:

Years ago a neighbour opposite me in Notting Hill Gate painted a huge multi coloured Chinese snake on the white stucco front wall of his house. It started in the basement and climbed up to the third floor (roof level). It was huge and totally dominated the 'streetscape'.

Needless to say, Westminster City Council took a very dim view of it and he was eventually forced to remove it. Hey-ho!

Town planners are an unimaginative lot :D

Robert

People are weird. Why would anyone that bought this house:
McRaes template
Immediately feel the urge to turn the drive into a 4 car scrap yard?

<<<< ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom