Kenwood DDX418 Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silnt_assn_009

Car
2003 E320
Hello, I have posted this question on mbworld.org and no one seems to really know. I have noticed that people here in MBClub have proven to be a little more knowlegeable about our beloved Mercedes.

I currently have an E320 with Audio 50, and looking to install the Kenwood DDX 418 with Bluetooth and Ipod controls with an option to add navigation later if I choose.

Now the problem is, everyone I talked to on mbworld is saying get the "Volkswagen Harness", "Volkswagen Harness", but which one? Also, Im thinking, I have fiber optic on my car from the audio gateway to the head unit, so does the "Volkswagen Harness" convert the fiber optic power to the proprietary ISO adapter for my Kenwood?

Im looking to spend the weekend to install the new Kenwood headunit with the Connects2 dash trim, my old Alpine amp getting the speaker lines from the old HK stock amp.

Im just looking to see if this "Volkswagen Harness" will make my install a plug and play. If not, any advise regarding getting power to the Kenwood Head Unit, and all the other wire feeds the Kenwood needs?

A VW loom will not be correct. If your adding your own amp then your prob better off just tapping into the +12 at the fuse box and use a factory earth point, ignition can be found at the fag lighter socket ( you'll prob find power connection at the head unit is not upto much as all the work is done by the oe amp)

I apologize, can you clarify? So I will tap into the positive 12v in fuse box by the driver side and ground it to the body of the vehicle. What did you mean by the lighter socket is there another source there too? Also, please clarify this statement:
(you'll prob find power connection at the head unit is not upto much as all the work is done by the oe amp)

Vehicles with amps external to the main head unit have low current wiring for the head unit as not much power drain is taken by the unit.

Fuse box for main permanent live
Black/yellow at lighter socket for switched live

Thank you for the clarification. I'll post pictures when installed.

Are you going to rewire the car to drive the speaker?

I would consider an amp in the boot near the oem amp and making up an adapter to plug into the harness that goes from the oem amp to the speakers, and then run a line level from the Kenwood.

I am not sure what the connector is for the oem amp->speakers?

The BMW guys sell adapters so you don't have to cut any stock wires, is there nothing the same for Mercs?

There is also a unit, can't remember the name now but it is Italian, that converts line level to most/optical so you can use the oem amp and speakers and simply plug the new head unit in.

I would however say consider retrofitting the comand NTG2.5, sound wise it is excellent, plus you can play MP3 of an SD cad, you get HDD storage, Nav and it looks stock too, plus you can add iPod if wanted and it is bluetooth so phone will hook up.

Probably cheaper and it will look better while adding value to your car.

Are you going to rewire the car to drive the speaker?

I would consider an amp in the boot near the oem amp and making up an adapter to plug into the harness that goes from the oem amp to the speakers, and then run a line level from the Kenwood.

I am not sure what the connector is for the oem amp->speakers?

The BMW guys sell adapters so you don't have to cut any stock wires, is there nothing the same for Mercs?

There is also a unit, can't remember the name now but it is Italian, that converts line level to most/optical so you can use the oem amp and speakers and simply plug the new head unit in.

I would however say consider retrofitting the comand NTG2.5, sound wise it is excellent, plus you can play MP3 of an SD cad, you get HDD storage, Nav and it looks stock too, plus you can add iPod if wanted and it is bluetooth so phone will hook up.

Probably cheaper and it will look better while adding value to your car.

I will rewire the speakers to my MB Quarts Amp. I was planning to run interconnect cables from the headunit to the amp, and cut wires from oem amp and run that to the MB Quart Amp. I just need to find out the color codes for which wire for each speakers. My other problem is to get the antenna from the boot to the front as I believe the antenna is in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom