Kerbed alloy - fixable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firstmercedes

Car
C220 Sport Cdi Auto blue efficiency W204
Due to a stupid bit of impatience on my part, I've managed to damage my near side front alloy. It's a real mess and has also taken a bit of rubber from the tyre.
I have a terrible feeling that a second of impatience is going to cost me a fortune.
Fixable or new wheel?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 135
I bought my AMG alloys in a much worse state than that. They have been re furbed.

Attachments

• P2130023.jpg
    P2130023.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 52
That can be re-furbed. Probably in the region of £80.

Certainly can be refurbished by a mobile refurbishment company on your driveway - but... do get that tyre checked by a tyre fitter. It's "probably" OK, but getting it checked now could save you the expense and faff of being stuck somewhere awkward in winter with a flat tyre.

+1. The big chunk missing from the sidewall is an MOT fail as well.

Unless there are cords/ply showing through, or the tear is as a result of structural separation or failure, then no, it isn't.

Unless there are cords/ply showing through, or the tear is as a result of structural separation or failure, then no, it isn't.

My Focus had an MOT fail with no cords showing:dk:
Must have been a bad day for the tester:D

They're not infallible - worryingly so sometimes. I've seen cars failed for reasons of defective/damaged ABS systems that didn't even have ABS fitted, or for not having 3 mirrors when only 2 are required for that age of vehicle.

The MOT testing manual is available from the DVLA site, lets you know exactly what the criteria are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom