Kerbed Alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nik2014

Car
W205 C250
Hi all.

I have unfortunately managed to slightly kerb one of my alloys after just 2 months of getting the car. :mad: The damage is not that bad but annoys me. Its left about a 2 inch scratch on the outer rim. The car has got 18 inch AMG alloys which I think are diamond cut?! How can I confirm whether it is diamond cut?

On reading various sources on the internet I have found that diamond cut alloys need to be refurbished fully and cannot undergo a smart repair. I kindly wanted to know your experiences and get some advice on how to get it repaired. Or should I just live with it as the damage is quite minor?

Thanks

It's not the best feeling in the world - especially as the car is so new.

The lacquer will be breached as the damage occurred so a refurb is the only answer.

Personally, I'd live with it for now and get it refurbed in the Spring from a decent outfit.

If you mention where you live then somebody may be able to recommend a good outfit.

Thanks LTD.

How do I know whether the alloys are diamond cut?

Can I buy the lacquer and apply it myself? or will it stand out?

I live in Plymouth, Devon. It will be good to get recommendations where I can get it repaired.

If they are satin/shiney with only a lacquer finish, they are diamond cut, if the finish is painted, then they are...painted.

You can perform a localised repair on diamond cut alloys. Rub along the rim with 200 grit w&d then wash down and paint with lacquer.

Dieselman- what does 'w&d' mean?

I have read somewhere that getting alloys fully refurbished thins the alloys, is that true?

Is there anyone on this forum who can recommend a good place to get the alloys repaired in/around Plymouth area? Mobile or garage?

To repair a diamond cut finish some good metal has to be removed.

I would go for a DIY localised repair and only resort to re-machining if that doesn't work.

I would just polish the damage only with wet n dry, touch up with lacquer or clear nail varnish over lapping the repair very slightly. It will notice but prevent corrosion creeping along the lacquer, and once a little dirty probably not be so obvious to anyone but you.
If you get it refurbished it will cost over £100 and you will probably kerb it again anyway.

I carefully rubbed down a short kerb scratch on one of my 18" diamond cut alloys using "wet & dry" on a tiny block when the car was less than a year old. Then I painted the small area with the lacquer that comes with the bodywork touch-up paint; a couple of thin layers. I took my time (over 30 minutes just on the rubbing down) and it looked good when I'd finished. Every time I wash the car I make sure I also wax that area of the wheel in particular. 18 months later and you'd still have to know exactly where the scratch was to be able to spot it, and only then when the wheel has just been cleaned. No sign of corrosion yet :D

Hi All, I have kerbed my front left alloy :( . Can anyone recommend a good contact in North west London/ Watford.

I have 19 inch black alloys on c63 with the silver going around the rim. Damage is 3 inch scrape on the silver part.

Thanks

BJV Engineering in Flaunden (near Bovingdon, which is near Watford). They did an excellent refurbishment job on my wife's alloys, even the one really grotty one.

Being pedantic here, but the correct term is 'wet OR dry' and refers to a waterproof abrasive paper that can be used dry, or with water, which helps reduce clogging. An oft used 'dodge' is to use water with a small amount of washing up liquid added - just makes it nicer to use and leaves you with clean hands. :) Mechanical engineers sometimes use wet or dry paper with oil, to hone or lap some metals.

You can smart repair diamond cut alloys had mine done twice now thanks to SWMBO £45 a time around here. I've also done two localised repairs myself on slight corrosion using wet and dry and then re lacquered and they been fine

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I don't mind getting it smart repaired as the kerbing is minor. Called the local dealer and they said that they do not do any alloy repairs and have given me a contact where they have done alloy refurbishment on their cars before. Have been looking online for smart repairers and have come across wicked wheels. Has anyone used them or recommend them?

Has anyone used any repair companies such as wicked wheels / chips away to repair their alloys?

Has anyone used any repair companies such as wicked wheels / chips away to repair their alloys?

repost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom