Kerbed my wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
It happened for the first time to me ever last nigh and I am gutted. I was out in the W203 with my gorgeous g/f and at the barrier where you enter the car park I was not paying attention and got distracted and bloody kerbed the rear near side alloy wheel. The damage is about a inch scrape right on the edge of the rim and I am confident that a smart repair can be carried out just on the damaged area without having to refurb the entire alloy wheel.

Does anyone know of a decent mobile wheel refurbisher that can do a high quality smart repair in the Berkshire area who is reasonably priced as well?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the wheel mate, hope it isn't too bad.

I've not tried either of these:

The first ones do work for my local VW/Audi dealer, they're in Iver I think but are mobile Montys:

Others highly rate Wicked Wheels They've got places all over the place but are mobile too.

Not sure if either of them can do smart repairs worth a call though.

Bad luck Flash.

What type of wheel is it, and how much would a new one cost?

I'm thinking you could fit a new one if not too expensive (£100-150?) and then sell the old one back on eBay etc, should recover quite a bit of the cost (£50?) If it's only slight cosmetic damage, someone will want your old wheel to replace a badly damaged one, or as a spare.

Must give the best result overall if you're keeping the car?

Will

Does anyone know of a decent mobile wheel refurbisher that can do a high quality smart repair in the Berkshire area who is reasonably priced as well?

Thanks
Hi Flash,
My own view is that you are asking the impossible,
A mobile wheel refurbisher might make a temporary, presentable repair, but it will never be a first class refurbishment. Was it one of your girlfriends that kerbed the Bentley wheel or you? :devil: :D

Take care and good luck
Yours sincerely
John

A decent professional repair, removal of wheel etc, only costs £75, so get it repaired properly.;)

As said above you cant do a road side repair very well as you cant use the correct paint.

Any chance of a photo please

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Will: It is a Electra alloy wheel 16"x8J and would cost just under £150 brand new. This wheel was actually replaced with a brand new one by MB under warranty less than 2 years ago:mad: The wheel is immaculate apart from last night's kerbing inside/out and so are rest of the wheels. I may be able to get it sorted for £40 (trade price - smart repair from a mobile fitter who is supposed to have a heater/oven of some sort in his van:confused: ).

I plan on keeping the car long term still as only done just over 16000 miles.

Glojo: Don't remind me about the Bentley wheel incident - she is now long gone :bannana: :bannana:

I will try and take a pic tomorrow.

Still not sure what to do yet though.

Tip: When driving with a beautiful woman sat next to you just make sure you pay attention to the road and your car and nothing else!

Last edited:
Ooh sorry to hear that but nice to see you - you've been absent and it has been noted!!;) :D

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Will: It is a Electra alloy wheel 16"x8J and would cost just under £150 brand new. This wheel was actually replaced with a brand new one by MB under warranty less than 2 years ago:mad: The wheel is immaculate apart from last night's kerbing inside/out and so are rest of the wheels. I may be able to get it sorted for £40 (trade price - smart repair from a mobile fitter who is supposed to have a heater/oven of some sort in his van:confused: ).

I plan on keeping the car long term still as only done just over 16000 miles.

Glojo: Don't remind me about the Bentley wheel incident - she is now long gone :bannana: :bannana:

I will try and take a pic tomorrow.

Still not sure what to do yet though.

I look forward to seeing a pic, in some cases home repairs can be done to a reasonable standard

The paint needs to be Oven Cured too.;)

With a smart repair is doesn't. A friend of mine works for a franchise and has the contract for MB World. The wheels don't even need to be removed and the finish usually exact as they get a colour match from a chart. £40 for a scuff repair.

A full wheel off strip and repaint is normally £75 - depending on wheel type and finish. If your other wheels haven't been refurbed then it's normally easy to spot the one that has.

Smart repairs run into problems when a previously refurbed wheel hasn't been colour matched correctly.

With a smart repair is doesn't. A friend of mine works for a franchise and has the contract for MB World. The wheels don't even need to be removed and the finish usually exact as they get a colour match from a chart. £40 for a scuff repair.

A full wheel off strip and repaint is normally £75 - depending on wheel type and finish. If your other wheels haven't been refurbed then it's normally easy to spot the one that has.

Smart repairs run into problems when a previously refurbed wheel hasn't been colour matched correctly.
With a roadside repair how would it stand up to a tyre removal? Would the paint be hard\durable enough to withstand any machine levering off the tyre?

Please note this is a question and I have absolutely no idea of its answer.

Regards
John

I use mobile refurbishers here... and i have to say you get what you pay for..

i pay

- £35 for slight scuffing... wheel removed, tyre deflated and masked off.. ofending areas sanded, painted, lacquered... dried with heat gun.
- £40 (anohter company) for full refurb on site.. the wheels can have light corrosion but nothing worse... A good days job done with wheels off in mobile van.. can get very very good results.
- £50 (another company again) gets me a top quality refurb on site.. I use them for badly corroded wheels...

There are plenty around Flash...

the £50 per wheel company are Wicked wheels and i dont know the guy in your area so cant comment, but this chap i use is the best here in the midlands..

With a roadside repair how would it stand up to a tyre removal? Would the paint be hard\durable enough to withstand any machine levering off the tyre?

Regards
John

The machine or tyre bar shouldn't come into contact with the lacquered finish if removed properly.

Regards
John

On a decent tyre removing machine John, there is a T piece with nylon pads that make contact with the wheel, any levering is done over one of the ears of the T piece and not the rim directly. So by rights there should be no lever to wheel contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom