Key battery change help request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Mum has a GLA that is only just over a year old. It has keyless entry & go.

In the last couple of weeks when using either key, we get a message on the dash "change key batteries". This came as a surprise as we've never had to change a key battery before in any of the various Merc's we've had (for example I've had my W212 for over four years without changing the battery in either key and I alternate their use). However, mum's is the first Merc we've had with keyless anything. I've seen suggestions that this will/may be the cause?

Anyway, changing the battery does not appear to be a problem but I have seen suggestions that because the car is keyless, the fobs will have to be reprogrammed after a battery change.

Firstly, is this correct? Secondly, if so, who can reprogram the fobs - a dealer or can indies do it? I suspect I can't!

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA, David.

No, the fob won't have to be re-programmed after changing the battery.
It should be one 2025 battery inside the fob. If you have a problem getting to the battery, get your dealer to change it at the parts counter.

It should be one 2025 battery inside the fob. If you have a problem getting to the battery, get your dealer to change it at the parts counter.

Thanks. That's tomorrow's job for the day sorted!

Hi - do you know if that is only if you change the battery before it actually dies completely? We stupidly allowed ours to do so and now have lost all keyless go functionality on both fobs, despite only needing to change the battery in one of the fobs.

Any idea how to reset/reprogram?

^ That I don't know.
I think the dealer will have to sort that problem for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom