Key Battery - Is this repalced at every service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hi
We bought a brand new GLE in April last year.

Rarely open the windows via remote control but noted this summer the windows would not open via remote. However, the open/lock and open/shut boot worked well from close by and distance.

As it got hotter I thought I'd try the new/spare key and window auto open/close.

The car was service April 2017, noted windows not opening around March 2017 and started using the spare key a month ago.

Paid around the 300 quid mark for the 'A' service.

Question: does MB replace the key battery and do you think the key is at fault. I have noted on my previous 2 C class cars that auto/key window open is a hit/miss thing but when I first got the GLE, you could open windows from about 20 feet.

Thanks

It is hit & miss usually rendering it almost useless. The issue seems to be the receiver and NOT the key (transmitter). You have to hold the key against the receiver/door handle, to get it to function.

On mine, the windows will only open via remote if the key is pointed directly at the drivers door. Always been that way, even with a new battery.

I don't know whether they change the batteries at a service. But, if you suspect a new battery might help, they are cheap and easy to fit.

The key uses infra red to work windows. Just like a tv set you need to be close. Drivers handle should have a small black square which is the receiver.

Key fob batteries (only the one you present with the car at service time) are changed at the B service, i.e. every two years for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key fob batteries (only the one you present with the car at service time) are changed at the B service, i.e. every two years for most people.

I found I always had to ask for it to be done. And give them the second key so they'd do both. Was always very nervous giving them both keys!

Thank you all. To clarify, intially worked from about 20 feet as does the spare key now. The first key wont opn or close windows even when put right up to the sensor. The car is still under the new car warranty, may have it looked at next year.

Btw, today, as I put the car into reverse to park at the local supermarket, the reverse cam picture turned while all i could see was the coloured marking, took it out of reverse and back several times no joy, drove it around the car park, no joy, then just before we left the shops, put it into reverse the camer worked - will keep an eye on this.

thanks all

You're patient/odd. You posted a thread about a problem and got answers including change the battery and you'll wait 'til next year.

Think I would just replace the batteries now anyway - £5 ish and available everywhere including Halfords. The Cl told me on the dash when the batteries needed replacing (without prompting)- is this function not common on the newer stuff?

My car is much older and one of the keys is not the original but both work on the auto window/sunroof ...but it can be a bit hit and miss. I tend to be close to the car when I use the function (pointing the key at the square on the door handle) but it appears to work better when the sun is NOT shining brightly....just the kind of time that you might want to use the function if the car is hot inside :cool: !

I think the convenience opening/closing on MB's is hideous. You have to point key inches away from the drivers handle and then once activated you have to hold button pressed throughout the whole process. Easier/quicker to just close the windows & sunroof before you get out of the car.

Fords Globel opening/closing is a much better system. Can be activated from within 20' of the vehicle and once it's started you can let your finger of the button and walk away/get in the car.

Also the Ford charges the key every time it's in the ignition whilst driving so never any need to change the battery. Simple efficient thinking from Ford.

I don't know if the keys for new cars are different, but it's very easy to change the batteries myself in my keys, and they are extremely cheap. So no need to wait for any particular service.

My car is having a little holiday at the dealer for a few days so I might ask them to change the battery when I pick it up.

With all the extra presses from remote closing the windows and disabling keyless-go it must be on its last legs by now :D

I don't know if the keys for new cars are different, but it's very easy to change the batteries myself in my keys, and they are extremely cheap. So no need to wait for any particular service.

Never had to do it until today. A message popped up on the dash requesting me to replace the key battery.

Very simple to do using the actual key that slots into the fob to release the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom