Key confusion :@

Discussion in 'Engine' started by dunegold, Sep 7, 2011.

1. dunegold

dunegold Member

Hi all im a newbie :) just become owner of a170 avantgarde 2005
    Anyway sorry for silly question but the key fob thingy that starts the engine ..what happens if it stops working?..does metal key thats tucked into the fob start the ignition as well? Just curious as the metal key looks to slim for the ignition?? Hope someone knows what i mean!.thankyou

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    The metal key is for emergency access into the vehicle in case the fob does not work (or the car's battery is dead). It will not start the car, for one thing it lacks the required electronics, for second there is no where to put it in on the dashboard...

On some models the metal key also opens/locks the boot and the glove compartment, allowing you to lock away valuables while valet parking (the fob should have the metal key, and this can be quickly detached using the small lever).

So the only safe thing to do is to ensure that you have two fobs, and test both to ensure they work (each fob should have the metal key, and this can be quickly detached using the small elver). If you bought the car with only one key, and the seller can't find the other one, you will need to order a spare key & fob from an MB dealer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. LocheeLad

LocheeLad Active Member

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor Coupe
    To add to Markjay's comments I would also say that a replacement key can be rather expensive!

4. LocheeLad

LocheeLad Active Member

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor Coupe
    Oh, just spotted that your question was actually your first ever post, so in time honoured tradition...welcome to the forum :thumb:

5. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Welcome indeed :)

6. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
  7. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Ditto :)

New keys are around £220 or so.

8. Gaz74

Gaz74 Active Member

Car:
    C32 AMG
    I had the same thoughts, what to do if the batteries die? The fob uses 2 x CR2025 batteries, so I just keep a spare pair in the coin slots in the centre console, so I can open the car with the key and pop new ones in and then be on my way.

And welcome to the forum :)

9. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    There is no need for this, the batteries are only for powering the remote locking / unlocking function of the key fob, they are not required for starting the car.

When you put the key into the ignition it energises the "key" via induction and the ignition switch then confirms that it is the correct key and lets you start the engine.

3 people like this.
  10. Gaz74

Gaz74 Active Member

Car:
    C32 AMG
    Well I never knew that, I guess you actually do learn something new every day! :)

11. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Just as well they are designed like this really or lots of people would be stranded with duff remote batteries :)

There is usually a coil around the igniotion switch, the action of placing the "key" in it causes the coil to energise and induce a current in the i.d. chip in the key. This can then transmit the code or be interrogated by the car and if all correct it allows the immobilisor to deactivate and the car to start. That was my understanding of how these systems work.

12. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I never actually tried this on the Merc, but on my previous car if opening the car with the key and not the fob, the alarm would sound until the engine was started - this was by design, as the alarm could not be disarmed mechanically from the lock for security reasons, only electronically from the fob, or the ignition switch.

13. OP
    OP
    dunegold

dunegold Member

Thanks for all the welcomes :).
    And thankyou for the info ..
    The dealer only had one fob no spare so looks like i will have to invest in a spare!
    Are they really expensive?

14. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    It does this on Mercedes also...been there etc...

15. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Depends how you view it...is £230 dear?

16. OP
    OP
    dunegold

dunegold Member

Thankyou..its quite dear but not as much as i was expecting!..phewww!
    Anyway another quick ? It gives me option to drive in c or s ( its automatic)
    Which is supposed to be for everyday general driving? Also more fuel efficient?
    Sorry for all the questions but all new to me..my last car was a t reg toyota yaris!.

17. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    C stands for Comfort, which is more for motorway because the gear changes are slightly slower/smoother.
    S stands for Sport, which is more for town/local driving because the gear changes are a tad slicker.

Welcome to the forum by the way...

18. Benzster

Benzster Active Member

Car:
    S 350L BLUTEK
    Fascinating, never even dreamt of that being the case.

19. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    You will get the new style chrome key if you order one, this is slightly larger than the original. Check that when ordering it that you will also be getting the metal emergency door key. I had to order one recently and they did not automatically come together.

You will need the V5 and possibly photographic i.d. to order the key, mine took 4 working days but the metal part took longer to arrive. Once you get it you just place it in the ignition until you hear the ignition lock release, that is it finishing the programming and is then ready to use.

20. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:

The Green brigade at MB has renamed 'Sport' to 'Standard', so there is no more Sport mode (at least not on the C-Class - not sure about the A-Class).

C will also start-off in most cases in second gear (i.e. if you are not flooring the accelerator), which is useful to remember when in snow.

On the C180K, I find the C mode is too sluggish - so I normally drive it in S mode, it works for me well even when driving calmly or cruising. I am not too bothered with the slightly higher fuel consumption.

Tags: