Key ended up in the washing machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blueserenity777

Car
Kleemann C-class
My W203 keyfob is not working now..Accidentally stuck it in my wash as it was in the pocket..It also then ended up in the dryer for about 40mins still in the pants pocket..
Have replaced the 2 CR2025 Varta batteries..still not working..Tried swapping the batteries accross to the spare key to check..battery is fine..Spare key Battery section in the washed keyfob..it does not work..so circuit board issue..tried blowing out if any water in there..still nto working..
Is there any way of getting this repaired..need a spare set..WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS NOW..bec of key coding issue..

HELP..

only way is to get a new one from MB, you will need to go in with log book and other ID.
If they are feeling particularly difficult, they may insist on seeing the car before they issue a key and may involve them towing it to the dealership.

Hope you have a spare?

That's an expensive mistake ... last I heard a new key was about £150.

You might be lucky after a brief dunking in clean water, but a full wash / dry - no way.

Dealer is the only option, as Jay says. Luckily you have a spare to use for now.

Check your handbook and if it does not say "do not wash your key in a washing machine and then tumble dry", sue them.

Oh! wait a minute, I thought you lived in the USA.;)

£200 ish now for a new one. Use the spare for now and save up for a replacement.

My W203 keyfob is not working now..Accidentally stuck it in my wash as it was in the pocket..It also then ended up in the dryer for about 40mins still in the pants pocket..
Have replaced the 2 CR2025 Varta batteries..still not working..Tried swapping the batteries accross to the spare key to check..battery is fine..Spare key Battery section in the washed keyfob..it does not work..so circuit board issue..tried blowing out if any water in there..still nto working..
Is there any way of getting this repaired..need a spare set..WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS NOW..bec of key coding issue..

HELP..

You need to PM Malcolm (television) and ask his opinion. If he says new key, then it's a new key. Regarding keys, whatever he suggests can be taken as gospel.

You need to PM Malcolm (television) and ask his opinion. If he says new key, then it's a new key. Regarding keys, whatever he suggests can be taken as gospel.

Easy mistake, wrong forum. :p

He would open the key, solder the coil that has dropped at the washing machine and possibly key switches, cleans and dries it well and puts a new battery. But hey, you can do it yourself too.

Don't give up hope if you can live with the spare. I drowned my phone the other day, and after all dismantling and drying procedures it still wouldn't work, so costed out a new one.

Then young smartass at work told me to leave it on rad for a while - his had taken about a week to dry out....

about a day later all was fine again... leave it somewhere warm and hope!

Try this open it and get a soft tooth-brush (dry)not a used one lol ,and gently rub over the board, clean any soap residue.
Give it a try ,i once did it and hey it worked
Best of Luck :bannana:

He would open the key, solder the coil that has dropped at the washing machine and possibly key switches, cleans and dries it well and puts a new battery. But hey, you can do it yourself too.

It works now..Took it apart..cleaned it inside out with cotton bud and some air burst spray..dried it for 24hours now near something warm(not the dryer)..just refitted with fresh new batteries as washed ones were a funny rust colour..It works..I did ring Parts at Mercedes..Said it was 200pounds ish..

Thanks everyone..Going to use my spare and use the extremely clean old keyfob as spare.. What a beautiful sight to see the indicator lights flash on pressing the keyfob..

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom