key fob alarm/immobiliser fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
this evening it was my turn for some immobiliser/alarm fun

took the car ('96 w129) to the shop this evening and when i got out of the car i was not able to lock the car with the keyfob, nothing happened, i managed to manually lock the car with the key. I went home to pick up my spare key, checked batteries and this forum for tips. (IR signal worked, batteries were fine)

re-armed with more knowledge and 2 sets of keyfobs and my credit card size spare key i tried again, still nothing happened, i could not unlock or lock the car / set the alarm.

the car would not startm, the immobiliser made sure of that.

as i have road assistance i rang them (bell insurance) and 30 minutes later huge recovery truck turned up, they guy tried following

1) reset the key (press twice quickly and put in ignition on number 2)
2) try another set of new batteries
3) offered to take the car home

i then asked him if he could check the fuse of the alarm, we figured out that fuse number 4 is for the IR receiver but this fuse was fine, he then checked all the other fuses and we discovered fuse 14 was faulty (can't remember what it was for) he changed the fuse et voila the keyfob worked again and i could start the car.

next time i will check the fuses before calling roadside assistance but i now know to check all the fuses and not just the fuse related to the IR receiver.

anyway, glad i got it sorted. i am sure one day i will thank the immobiliser but today was not that day.

Didn't you check even later what this fuse #14 is for? Might want to figure out what could have burnt it in the first place?

having checked it i think we did not replace fuse 14 but 15 which is for the air conditioning contrrol unit and IR remote control

reason being fuse 14 is a 20a (yellow) fuse and the faulty fuse i have now is 10a (red) fuse.

so in dark he must have replaced fuse 15 and not 14, which would make sense.

no idea whythe fuse burnt thru though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom