Key Fob eating battries! help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Black

Hi Guys,
My girlfriend has a 1999 SLK with the two button 'flick' key remote. when fitted with new battries the remote works fine for a day then drains the battries completely. I have fitted new battries twice with the same effect, the spare 'credit card' type key is fine.
I checked the old and new battries with a multimeter (which proved the new battries were ok and the old ones weren't - doh!) But, when I checked the battery connectors in the remote (with no batteries fitted) i can see a perminant resistance of 3.3333 Ohms? this is without any buttons being pressed.
Sorry about the protracted description, my questions are:
1. could a diode have failed, and if so is it repairable?
2. If I buy a used remote fob and swap the key blade over can it be reprogrammed to use with this car? or am I into Mercedes for £117+VAT
3. Does the reprogramming have to be done by Merc?
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
Dave :confused:

You will have to "bite the dust" and folk out for a brand new key from MB. DC UK are the only people that can prgram the key and impossible to do it to a "used" key. New programmed key is sourced/supplied directly from Germany.

Keys used to be £50/60 before... However £117 plus VAT is still cheaper than what VW/BMW charge...!!!

You must also provide the relevant docmentation before key is ordered/handed over which is proof of ownership of vehicle (V5), two forms of identification which one of them must be photographic (i.e. passport) and the other must have an address mtaching the V5's address i.e. utiltiy bill.

Some people on ebay/internet "claim" to programme keys but I personally doubt that they can and IMO it is a scam...

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, saved me wasting cash, off to MB on Moday doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom