Key Fobs (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P1ckledegg

Car
Mercedes E270 CDI
Hi Guys,

I have spent a few hours looking through the web for something that sounds like my problem but I can't find anyone with the same issue.

Got home last night in the car, no problems at all, Went to start it this morning and the remote unlock wouldn't open the boot but it did open the doors, Put the key in the ignition and nothing.... won't allow me to turn the key.... Now I am unable to even lock the doors with the remote, so I was quite happy it was the batteries in the remote. Quick stop at Halfords to pick up some 2025 3V batteries and quickly swapped them over and still nothing! I am unable to lock or unlock and the ignition won't turn.

I don't think it is the steering lock as I would still be able to lock and un lock the car etc and I don't see how the car could be unlocked this morning and then all of a sudden the key / car forgets about the key and block it from working.....

EDIT - Both batteries register at 12.5v so its not a power issue

Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

Car is a 2003 W211 E270CDI

Cheers
Steve:wallbash:

Hi Guys,

I have spent a few hours looking through the web for something that sounds like my problem but I can't find anyone with the same issue.

Got home last night in the car, no problems at all, Went to start it this morning and the remote unlock wouldn't open the boot but it did open the doors, Put the key in the ignition and nothing.... won't allow me to turn the key.... Now I am unable to even lock the doors with the remote, so I was quite happy it was the batteries in the remote. Quick stop at Halfords to pick up some 2025 3V batteries and quickly swapped them over and still nothing! I am unable to lock or unlock and the ignition won't turn.

I don't think it is the steering lock as I would still be able to lock and un lock the car etc and I don't see how the car could be unlocked this morning and then all of a sudden the key / car forgets about the key and block it from working.....

EDIT - Both batteries register at 12.5v so its not a power issue

Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

Car is a 2003 W211 E270CDI

Cheers
Steve:wallbash:

I assume you only have the one key, like myself, so cannot try the other to narrow problem down?
Have you dropped the keys at some point recently?

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have the other key but same story, Currently the battery is on charge (even though it was showing 12V) just to see (desperate haha)

If it is a key sync issue then I wouldn't have been able to initially open the door this morning, Reading the owners guide the symptoms of not being able to turn the key or move the gear out of P is down to a disconnected battery, Next step is to check the fuses (when this rain buggers off!)

Battery back on and no change, Seems it is just the keys, What can I check to confirm this, What should I be able to do without the key in the ignition????

Hi,

if you have 2 keys and they both do the same then its unlikely to be the keys. The batteries work the locking, and a key without batteries WILL turn the ignition aslong as there is power to ignition and the key IR circuits are undamaged.

If you get in the car and flick the light switch on and off, does the dash light up showing you mileage in the middle? does it display the actual mileage or ------?

Being a 2003 model, it could have 2 different types of EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch) and 1 of them has reputation of failing like this.

Other things it could be is -
Front SAM unit water ingress (Open bonnet, driver side black box by bulkhead where the fuses are) _
Under floor power connectors ( under passenger side foot carpet)
Rear SAM fault or water ingress

Mark

Last edited:
Hi,

if you have 2 keys and they both do the same then its unlikely to be the keys. The batteries work the locking, and a key without batteries WILL turn the ignition aslong as there is power to ignition and the key IR circuits are undamaged.

If you get in the car and flick the light switch on and off, does the dash light up showing you mileage in the middle? does it display the actual mileage or ------?

Being a 2003 model, it could have 2 different types of EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch) and 1 of them has reputation of failing like this.

Other things it could be is -
Front SAM unit water ingress (Open bonnet, driver side black box by bulkhead where the fuses are) _
Under floor power connectors ( under passenger side foot carpet)
Rear SAM fault or water ingress

Mark

Hi mark,

When I get in the car it shows the correct milage, I just went out a switched the headlights on and when on sidelights the dash lights up but it all goes off when I turn main lights on (key still won't turn) and then the milage reads ------

Any ideas?

Cheers
Steve

If the mileage reads ------ at any time it means there is no communication from/to the EIS..

Your EIS is likely to be at fault, but you must check all power/earth to the EIS. It is fed direct 12v

Mark

Your EIS is likely to be at fault, but you must check all power/earth to the EIS. It is fed direct 12v
Mark

Mark, I was advised to get in touch with you. I have an E320CDI with possibly faulty Gearbox ECU. I was told you can fix these? Please could you let me know if so, thanks

p.s. sorry i couldn't find any other way to get a message to you

It looks like as a result of the drivers floor being soaked in water it shorted out the EIS system!

God damn it, Think I will buy an Audi!

Thought I would give you guys a little update, Still without a car!

New EIS and Keys etc have been delivered but the front SAM now needs to be replaced, Managed to find a suitable replacement from a breakers for £140 rather than the £450 the stealership wanted! all in all this has set me back £1,700 so far and I have been without the car for 6 weeks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom