Key not recognised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris1980

Car
C200 Kompressor
I have a 2000(W) C200 Kompressor. I've owned it for just under 2 years and only ever had to buy a new key fob and a reverse light bulb.
However, I got into my car yesterday, put the key in the ignition and heard the steering lock disengage but when I turned the key nothing happened. I took the key out and tried again, but I got the same outcome. The same happened the third try, but on fourth attempt to start, the key wasn't even recognized and the steering lock failed to disengage. I've tried probably twenty plus attempts since and the car seems to be dead.
I noticed the dash seemed a little sluggish lighting up when I opened the door, as was the radio when I switched it on, but I may just be imagining it.
I wondered if the battery may be getting flat as I've been out at night a few times recently with my lights, heater, radio etc on, so I tried to jump start it using my dads car, but nothing. I also tried a booster, but again, nothing.
I can't even use my OBD2 scanner as I can't turn the ignition on and I'm out of ideas. The car is getting old, but it's my pride and joy and I have some medical appointments coming up which I need the car for and I don't have much money to spend right now.
My old key fob always worked on the ignition, but wouldn't unlock the doors, hence the new key. But I tried the old one in the ignition as well, but again, nothing happened.
I thought it might be a dead cell in the battery, but the battery looks reasonably new and I would have thought the car should respond when jumped. Could this be down to the ignition?
I have some mechanical skills, but when it comes to auto computers I'm at a loss.
If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful to hear, thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes it is an automatic and it's in park.
I've also checked all fuses and they're all good.
I don't think it's the key as I've tried both keys. I'm thinking it might be a fault somewhere in the ignition barrel, but I'm not sure how to test the theory.

Possible ESL (Electronic Steering Lock) failure?

I did think about that failure when reading the OP, thought it was linked to the W204 only rather than previous :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom