Key not turning CLS55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCLS55

Car
Mercedes E63
Well I've had a fun filled day... I set off for Middlesbrough at 9 in the Merc and get back to Newcastle at 12 having viewed a job. The drive was good, the car was running great. On the way home I pulled into Teams Valley to get some stuff from Halfords, when I go to lock the car nothing so I checked the key and there was no red signal so I replaced the batteries at Halfords and returned to the car.

I stuck the key into the ignition and nothing, it wouldn't budge whatsoever regardless of how hard I tried or how much I jiggled it.

After 30 minutes or so I call the RAC and he arrived pretty sharpish, about 20 minutes after I called.

He checks the battery in the boot and the auxiliary battery in the front and both were spot on which I knew would be the case. He checks fuses etc. again everything is fine. So he checks the actual ignition box thing itself and takes it apart etc. but still the damn key would not turn.

By this stage it started to lash down and the rear windows for some reason dropped.

Eventually He gave up and called in the flat bed, removing the gear lever surround to select neutral so it could be placed on the flat bed.

I call Phill at Dunston Mercedes indie and he is fully booked and cant help. He says it shouldn't be the comms unit which the RAC man seemed to think and said in all likelihood it sounded like a new key was needed. I don't have a spare...

Anyway its with Mercedes on Scotswood Road.

I just cant get how one minute it was driving and the next the key wouldn't do anything.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue?

Last edited:
That sounds like a right nightmare mate.. Once diagnosed maybe worth while buying a spare key. Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid the symptoms sounds like a dead EIS to me. I suffered the same problem about a fortnight after getting my CL55... :(

As said, EIS.

Thanks, but its currently with Mercedes Newcastle, I've not actually heard from them yet mind. They usually call with a break down of potential costs. The key has been ordered and its going to cost £238 quid all in so I'm hoping its just that. It does sound like there is something other wrong, however.

As said, EIS.

Yep, MB confirmed it.

Over £800 quid for the new key and EIS and the fitting etc.

Seriously considering selling it soon as all tha money I'm spending on it, I hardly drive the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom