Key Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaramanga

i recently picked up a 2009 SL63, and was just wondering if anyone has attempted to refurbish the key fobs before ?

They aren’t in bad condition, but I do like the idea of having new key cases!

Been searching the web and can’t find any refurb kits available ? Basically just looking to refresh the outer plastics. (Or swap the internals into a new key).

Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, wasn’t sure where it belonged !

I have a key left from my car which is now gone. It's the chrome one with 3 buttons I'll try and grab a pic.

Last edited:
Here you go. My car was unfortunately written off when a trucker caught me in his blind spot. This was a replacement I bought for a lost one (£350 :-o) and was never used as you can see from the condition.
LJUDT6DF.jpg

Last edited:
Well I think the op may well find that there are two types of key they look the same,if you buy a key case from ebay make certain the battery and how it opens are the same,after that you will I think have to force the internals out of the old key and fit it in the new key fob,this may well end in tears,have a good look how your circuit board is fixed in the old key and make a decision,if you want to try this.

Here you go. My car was unfortunately written off when a trucker caught me in his blind spot. This was a replacement I bought for a lost one (£350 :-o) and was never used as you can see from the condition.
LJUDT6DF.jpg

How much would you like for this? If the OP doesn’t want it of course, but I suspect his key will be the moulded button type.

Hi Alex, I'd take £20inc post. Obviously you can get a copied one for the same price but this is 100% genuine it's from a 2009 W204 if that helps confirm the model.

How much would you like for this? If the OP doesn’t want it of course, but I suspect his key will be the moulded button type.
Hi Alex, I'd take £20inc post. Obviously you can get a copied one for the same price but this is 100% genuine it's from a 2009 W204 if that helps confirm the model.

If the OP doesn’t want this I’d be interested, would I be able to swap out my internals? Key looks exactly the same bar the AMG logo on the rear.

These keys can’t be reprogrammed can they?

I don’t believe so, I’d literally want it for the casing if exchangeable

I don’t believe so, I’d literally want it for the casing if exchangeable
Yes as long as you have the same chrome style key as the circuit board from the older black plastic key won’t fit. :)

I was told at the time that the S203 and previous models could be cloned or re-coded I'm not sure which but the S204 keys had to be ordered ready coded and cut from Germany. In fact I had to visit the dealer 4 times as they somehow where unable to get my replacement right despite them taking details from the car and the key and my documents. ultimately I sent Mercedes photos of the key blank for them to get it right. The dealer couldn't understand why I wanted the emergency key to be right as you hardly every need it.:wallbash:

Any how this looks to be the way to change the housing.

Hi, if this is the two-battery version I will take it please!

Yes as long as you have the same chrome style key as the circuit board from the older black plastic key won’t fit. :)
Hi mate, sorry just remembered I’d posted here, I’ll take this if possible.

As for the other chap, this won’t be a 2 battery version if it is the same as mine which I assume it is...if however you do want it I won’t step on your toes as you beat me to it.

2cni5a9.jpg
For anyone wanting to know if this is possible, it is, but rather involving.

Thanks! Any source for instructions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom