Key Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The YouTube videos are pretty accurate, however one of them doesn’t mention the fact the key is glued amongst other bits, bare with me I will put together a small guide

Thanks so much! Mine is the two battery version though. Is yours the one battery one ?

Right, so I suggest following these instructions along with watching the YouTube videos.
First of all you need to remove the key blade and then use this to pop the battery cover off:
2ia924n.jpg

148kgeh.jpg

Once this is done I used a blade or similar to lever the top chrome piece off, the retaining clip is on the left hand side if looking at the key from the back, but there is no way to access this to ‘unlock’ it so just be a little gentle and it will come free:
257eix3.jpg

The key release slider will come off with this and you’ll be left with the below:
qsjhw3.jpg

Next is the tricky bit of removing the chrome side pieces, they can be quite tight and although YouTube videos show to lever them from the bottom, I found this was going to mark the plastic, and found the best was was to lodge a piece of paracetamol casing between the chrome piece and retaining clip, then lever with a screwdriver from the top:

2zf298x.jpg

i42xw7.jpg

2d1k2rq.jpg

Do the same for the other side, you may find the retaining clip is harder to see but it is there.

The next part involves breaking the plastic casing apart as it is glued together from factory, I found the best way was to start at the top end where the chrome top piece will cover:

xpu8if.jpg

Gently work your way around until the casing is open.
The next part is somewhat difficult as the circuit board is almost plastic welded to the casing, this needs to be heated and delicately removed and the same done when you’ve swapped the board into the new housing:
24ex7oy.jpg

Reassembly is the reverse of the above, I glued around the seam of the casing with some loctite gel superglue before reassembling and held it together loosely with the chrome side pieces whilst it dried.

The finished product:
2cni5a9.jpg

Any questions I’ll be happy to help.

Yes, keyless. Will that make it harder ?

I have the old black key fobs with my W203, its an '06 saffa built one so it must have been the absolute last... one is playing up now despite new batteries so I was wondering if I can use the newer type, does anyone know if its possible?

Hi All, I am hoping I can upgrade my Mercedes Benz CLK 280 2006 Coupe with new key fobs case to chrome shell as both keys badly need a refurb.

Please could someone let me know if this is possible with my CLK 280 2006? if someone could point me in the right direction of who to contact to do this at a good price I would be really grateful?

Many thanks - B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom