Key Security - Keyless Entry

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by od91, Aug 14, 2019.

1. od91

od91 New Member

Car:
    2019 CLA 250 AMG PREM+
    I'm sure this may have been a topic before at some stage, even if it has, it's still a good topic.

Keyless cars are being stolen every day, it's becoming more of a problem all the time. I've had a few keyless entry cars now and I'm interested in seeing how people secure their keys as I have read online and seen in the news its becoming a massive problem.

Has anyone experienced their car being stolen without the key? What do you do to protect yours?

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    flowrider99 likes this.
  3. c63chris

c63chris Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
    Lock the car by pressing lock twice to disable the keyless on the key and keep the keys far away from the front door. To steal the car they need to piggy back the signal from the key to the car. Lots of people leave their keys in the hallway so someone standing at the front door can pick up the signal and then touch the handle to open the car and start the engine.

4. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Theft of keyless go cars is reported every day, but what amazes me is how so many owners have no idea how it's easily stopped. Is it the modern way of thinking that no one takes responsibilty anymore and there's always someone else to blame?

5. c63chris

c63chris Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
    Agreed, most people seem to not bother understanding how their car works which as an engineer amazes me!

rf065 likes this.
  6. rf065

Car:
    It must be the modern equivelent of the old warning ads on TV telling folk not to leave a window open when their house is not occupied.

c63chris likes this.
  7. 24 VRT

24 VRT Active Member

Car:
    '99 S210 E320CDI A/garde - gone to a better place.. Now '09 S211 E320CDI Sport.
    Use a Faraday Bag to store your keys in when not in use. Problem solved.

8. Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs New Member

Car:
    GL450 & C180 Shooting Brake
    tbh i like the feature you just got to use your head when you park and leave the car so many people leave their keys in front door is mental

9. reverend

reverend Member

Car:
    E220 Bluetec SE MY2016
    Quite a few people still don't even bother locking their cars at night - keyless entry or not.

The last time we had the scum checking door handles around our estate I had to message a few people on the street who had left their car doors unlocked and they'd been rifled through.

10. rf065

Car:
    I use to work with a guy who never even locked his front door when he went to work, even though he lived alone. He would also leave his car keys in the ignition when he parked at the shops, even after someone had driven away in it once before, he still did it.

reverend and gaz_l like this.
  11. tangey

tangey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC250D
    Apparently all new Mercs since mid 2018 have the new motion detection keys. So if the key hasn't moved for a couple of minutes (and obviously isn't in the car etc) it is deactivated, defeating the signal extending tech that is being used to open/start cars.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. John N

John N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220D 4Matic P+
    Slight Post Hijack but on the same subject:

Apparently, my Car has this “New” technology, but how do you Test it?

Usual Scenario:

Park Car in Garage, get out, Lock Car, (either by Handle Button or Key-fob) Double Tap Key-fob ensuring that the Led Flashes, test Door Handle won’t Open, job done! :thumb:

New Technology:

Run through the same as above, apart from the Double Tap, wait a few minutes then try the Door Handle, but wait a minute, you have just moved, the Motion Detector has done it’s Job, you have Moved, so if the Door now Opens how do you know the No Motion Detection worked in the first place?:dk::confused:

13. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Place the key on the car roof? Then try the door handle?

John N likes this.
  14. Redline7

Redline7 Member

Car:
    C43
    Faraday pouches for both keys after using the lock button twice & then a good old fashion Stoplock Pro on the steering wheel.

15. OP
    OP
    od91

od91 New Member

Car:
    2019 CLA 250 AMG PREM+
    Some really interesting posts here! I didn't know about the double lock function or the motion key sensor. I will have to try those out.

I've been hesitant on buying a faraday pouch as there is many mixed reviews online and they seem to wear out? I don't even know how that would be possible.

16. rf065

Car:
    I've had a couple for 3 years for both my cars, used every day and still look brand new, and they were not expensive either.

17. OP
    OP
    od91

od91 New Member

Car:
    2019 CLA 250 AMG PREM+
    Would you mind sharing which one you have please? I think if I can disable it by double pressing or if my key has the motion detection I may not need it but I would still like to have one just in case.

18. rf065

Car:
  19. Redline7

Redline7 Member

Car:
    C43
    ......same here. Mine came off ebay & they included 2 for the cash & credit cards in your wallet. The pouches do work as i tried mine standing next to the car, key in pouch car won't unlock. Key out of pouch & it opens. Worth it for what they coat & as for the comment above about hem wearing out !!!!!!!! there is nothing to wear out,put key in take it out,simple.

od91 likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    od91

od91 New Member

Car:
    2019 CLA 250 AMG PREM+
    Thank you! I've bought this!

I've read reviews on Amazon where they've stopped working and a couple even saying that the keys have become un-programmed somehow!