Key Security - Keyless Entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

od91

Car
Merc
I'm sure this may have been a topic before at some stage, even if it has, it's still a good topic.

Keyless cars are being stolen every day, it's becoming more of a problem all the time. I've had a few keyless entry cars now and I'm interested in seeing how people secure their keys as I have read online and seen in the news its becoming a massive problem.

Has anyone experienced their car being stolen without the key? What do you do to protect yours?

Lock the car by pressing lock twice to disable the keyless on the key and keep the keys far away from the front door. To steal the car they need to piggy back the signal from the key to the car. Lots of people leave their keys in the hallway so someone standing at the front door can pick up the signal and then touch the handle to open the car and start the engine.

Theft of keyless go cars is reported every day, but what amazes me is how so many owners have no idea how it's easily stopped. Is it the modern way of thinking that no one takes responsibilty anymore and there's always someone else to blame?

Theft of keyless go cars is reported every day, but what amazes me is how so many owners have no idea how it's easily stopped. Is it the modern way of thinking that no one takes responsibilty anymore and there's always someone else to blame?

Agreed, most people seem to not bother understanding how their car works which as an engineer amazes me!

Agreed, most people seem to not bother understanding how their car works which as an engineer amazes me!

It must be the modern equivelent of the old warning ads on TV telling folk not to leave a window open when their house is not occupied.

I'm sure this may have been a topic before at some stage, even if it has, it's still a good topic.

Keyless cars are being stolen every day, it's becoming more of a problem all the time. I've had a few keyless entry cars now and I'm interested in seeing how people secure their keys as I have read online and seen in the news its becoming a massive problem.

Has anyone experienced their car being stolen without the key? What do you do to protect yours?
Use a Faraday Bag to store your keys in when not in use. Problem solved.

tbh i like the feature you just got to use your head when you park and leave the car so many people leave their keys in front door is mental

Quite a few people still don't even bother locking their cars at night - keyless entry or not.

The last time we had the scum checking door handles around our estate I had to message a few people on the street who had left their car doors unlocked and they'd been rifled through.

Quite a few people still don't even bother locking their cars at night - keyless entry or not.

The last time we had the scum checking door handles around our estate I had to message a few people on the street who had left their car doors unlocked and they'd been rifled through.
I use to work with a guy who never even locked his front door when he went to work, even though he lived alone. He would also leave his car keys in the ignition when he parked at the shops, even after someone had driven away in it once before, he still did it.

Apparently all new Mercs since mid 2018 have the new motion detection keys. So if the key hasn't moved for a couple of minutes (and obviously isn't in the car etc) it is deactivated, defeating the signal extending tech that is being used to open/start cars.

Last edited:
Apparently all new Mercs since mid 2018 have the new motion detection teech keys. So if the key hasn't moved for a couple of minutes (and obviously isn't in the car etc) it is deactivated, defeating the signal extending tech that is being used to open/start cars.

Slight Post Hijack but on the same subject:

Apparently, my Car has this “New” technology, but how do you Test it?

Usual Scenario:

Park Car in Garage, get out, Lock Car, (either by Handle Button or Key-fob) Double Tap Key-fob ensuring that the Led Flashes, test Door Handle won’t Open, job done! :thumb:

New Technology:

Run through the same as above, apart from the Double Tap, wait a few minutes then try the Door Handle, but wait a minute, you have just moved, the Motion Detector has done it’s Job, you have Moved, so if the Door now Opens how do you know the No Motion Detection worked in the first place?:dk::confused:

Place the key on the car roof? Then try the door handle?

Some really interesting posts here! I didn't know about the double lock function or the motion key sensor. I will have to try those out.

I've been hesitant on buying a faraday pouch as there is many mixed reviews online and they seem to wear out? I don't even know how that would be possible.

I've been hesitant on buying a faraday pouch as there is many mixed reviews online and they seem to wear out? I don't even know how that would be possible.
I've had a couple for 3 years for both my cars, used every day and still look brand new, and they were not expensive either.

I've had a couple for 3 years for both my cars, used every day and still look brand new, and they were not expensive either.
Would you mind sharing which one you have please? I think if I can disable it by double pressing or if my key has the motion detection I may not need it but I would still like to have one just in case.

......same here. Mine came off ebay & they included 2 for the cash & credit cards in your wallet. The pouches do work as i tried mine standing next to the car, key in pouch car won't unlock. Key out of pouch & it opens. Worth it for what they coat & as for the comment above about hem wearing out !!!!!!!! there is nothing to wear out,put key in take it out,simple.

Bought them from ebay 3 years ago, can't remember a makers name, but it looks identical to these ones. Faraday Car Key Signal Blocker Case Pouch Fob Keyless RFID Blocking Bag Wallet | eBay

Thank you! I've bought this!

......same here. Mine came off ebay & they included 2 for the cash & credit cards in your wallet. The pouches do work as i tried mine standing next to the car, key in pouch car won't unlock. Key out of pouch & it opens. Worth it for what they coat & as for the comment above about hem wearing out !!!!!!!! there is nothing to wear out,put key in take it out,simple.

I've read reviews on Amazon where they've stopped working and a couple even saying that the keys have become un-programmed somehow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom