Key Security - Keyless Entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Use a Faraday Bag to store your keys in when not in use. Problem solved.

If you fancy something a bit more bling then check out this key box, pricey but nicely made;

Alpha Shield Premium Keyless Go -... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077JCQFXQ/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I keep my main key in this and the spare in an old biscuit tin.

Belt and braces with the double press deactivate but I don’t want to risk losing my car (bast@rds got my friends GLS63 - he didn’t know about the double press at the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place the key on the car roof? Then try the door handle?

I tried this last night, Locked the Car using the Door Button placed the Fob on the Roof and after a couple od Minutes I couldn't open the Car Door by Hand, touch or move the Key-fob and the Door can be opened, so in theory the Key-fob self disables after a few minutes!:)

It's a bit like opening and shutting the Fridge Door, always wondering if the Light went out! :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick to Double Tapping the Key-fob for my own piece of mind!:devil:

Well some of the late model cars do have the keyfobs that if they are static in a coat pocket or on a table will switch themselves off,the pouches will protect other keys,there is also ghost that can be fitted,the thing is that if you live in areas of high car thefts and you own a very expensive car you need to take other precautions,like spending around £1000 on a very secure front door and make any side entrances very difficult to climb over,because there are thieves out there who will try and brak into your home,I am no tech but I always thought that a cheap mobile phone run of a 12v supply hidden in the car would help to track the car,because the thieives will put a jammer to stop trackers,but later your phone may well work.

Slight Post Hijack but on the same subject:

Apparently, my Car has this “New” technology, but how do you Test it?

Set the key either on the roof or the ground. Make sure it is still operating at this time (i.e. it's in range) by checking you can unlock/lock the door.

Leave the key where it is, don't touch it. After 3 minutes, try it again. If you have a motion sensor key, it will have gone to sleep, and will not respond to the 'chirp' from the car.

Set the key either on the roof or the ground. Make sure it is still operating at this time (i.e. it's in range) by checking you can unlock/lock the door.

Leave the key where it is, don't touch it. After 3 minutes, try it again. If you have a motion sensor key, it will have gone to sleep, and will not respond to the 'chirp' from the car.
See posts 13 and 25 ;)

I tried this last night, Locked the Car using the Door Button placed the Fob on the Roof and after a couple od Minutes I couldn't open the Car Door by Hand, touch or move the Key-fob and the Door can be opened, so in theory the Key-fob self disables after a few minutes!:)

It's a bit like opening and shutting the Fridge Door, always wondering if the Light went out! :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick to Double Tapping the Key-fob for my own piece of mind!:devil:

I’m going to try this tomorrow!

Faraday pouches for both keys after using the lock button twice & then a good old fashion Stoplock Pro on the steering wheel.

Stoplock pro is no deterrent as they simply hacksaw through the steering wheel which is mostly padding and slide it off. The only secure one is the Disklok which covers the entire wheel...

i use a metal key box with a combination lock. We keep all our keys in it and once closed, the metal blocks the key signal. I tested it several times and it definitely blocks the signal. With the box open the car would unlock and lock, but as soon as i closed the box, there was no response from the car. They aren't expensive on Amazon. I would recommend anyone to use them rather than the pouches as they never 'run out' :)

We use a faraday pouch. Never had a problem with it but I can imagine that it might eventually “wear out” if the metal fibres/weave breaks across the folding part of the flap after a lot of use. It’s easy to check though - just try unlocking the car with the key in the pouch.

My dad uses the faraday pouches for his keys, after 2 years they no longer worked. Simple fix as they are so cheap to buy but yes, they do eventually stop working.
I don’t bother myself, my car has keyless go but it’s almost always blocked on the drive by 1 or 2 other cars.

See posts 13 and 25 ;)

Post 13 on it's own would suggest that merely setting the key on the roof should be a good enough test.

As per my post, lock-unlock should be tested when the key is initially left in close proximity to ensure that it is actually being picked up by the car, and they retested after a couple of minutes to see if the movement detector has disabled the key.

My preference would be to place on the ground rather than the roof, in case the movement detector is uber-sensitive and pulling the door handle results in the key sitting on the car roof picking up movement.
;)

Last edited:
My dad uses the faraday pouches for his keys, after 2 years they no longer worked. Simple fix as they are so cheap to buy but yes, they do eventually stop working.
I don’t bother myself, my car has keyless go but it’s almost always blocked on the drive by 1 or 2 other cars.

the key or the pouch didn't work?

The metal mesh breaks down, it's surprising how small (but relatively large compared to the mesh hole size) a gap/tear is enough to allow thee RF signal to get through

If you have keyless go, you can also remove the push button so you need a key to start the car.

It just pulls out and leaves the key hole there.

If you have keyless go, you can also remove the push button so you need a key to start the car.

It just pulls out and leaves the key hole there.

A good thief will have a push button start with him though, just incase of this.

Best way is to double tap the fob when leaving it overnight etc. Also, make sure you do the same with your spare before you put it away otherwise they will just boost that signal and still take your pride and joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom