Key Security - Keyless Entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you have keyless go, you can also remove the push button so you need a key to start the car.

It just pulls out and leaves the key hole there.

I'm not sure that that statement is correct, it is the the C Class and other Models, but my E Class have Keyless Go with no facility to remove the Button and the Key-Fob doesn't have Rectangular End to insert anywhere.:rolleyes:

A good thief will have a push button start with him though, just incase of this.

Best way is to double tap the fob when leaving it overnight etc. Also, make sure you do the same with your spare before you put it away otherwise they will just boost that signal and still take your pride and joy.
I've started doing the double tap, makes me feel much better. I am going to try to leave the key and see if it has motion detection to see if it disables itself.

I'd much rather know the keyless is disabled and leave the key somewhere downstairs rather than hide it. My theory is, if someone breaks in for the car - I would rather them just take it than destroy the entire house looking for it.

A good thief will have a push button start with him though, just incase of this.

Best way is to double tap the fob when leaving it overnight etc. Also, make sure you do the same with your spare before you put it away otherwise they will just boost that signal and still take your pride and joy.

As far as i know the button needs to be coded to the car the same as the key, so not just any button will work.

I'm not sure that that statement is correct, it is the the C Class and other Models, but my E Class have Keyless Go with no facility to remove the Button and the Key-Fob doesn't have Rectangular End to insert anywhere.:rolleyes:

So how would you start your car if the battey goes flat in the key fob?

I noticed on a 2018 S Class with KG that the button could not be removed at all.

Not all models of Merc with KG are disabled by double-tapping.

Normally no, but I have to confess I did it to find something out.

Oh the shame.

Apparently all new Mercs since mid 2018 have the new motion detection keys. So if the key hasn't moved for a couple of minutes (and obviously isn't in the car etc) it is deactivated, defeating the signal extending tech that is being used to open/start cars.

You learn something new every day, I can confirm that my 2018 car deactivates the key if it has not been moved.

So how would you start your car if the battey goes flat in the key fob?

I think you'll find the condition of the battery inside the key has no bearing on whether the car starts or not.

Depending on the age of the car, either infra red or radio waves are used to pair with the EIS and start the car.

Can double tap to disable keyless go be enabled either by update to the keyless go module or the key or do you need a later /newer key? Anyone know?

Can double tap to disable keyless go be enabled either by update to the keyless go module or the key or do you need a later /newer key? Anyone know?
Double tap works on both my cars, so it's been available since 2016. Anyone else got an older car that does it?

Double tap works on both my cars, so it's been available since 2016. Anyone else got an older car that does it?
Works on my 64 plate E63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom