key stopped working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

N7OGP

Car
Viano 2011
on Saturday my key stooped working, it will lock and unlock the doors. when i put the key in the ignition you don't get that noise. If it does make that noise the ignition lights will come on but it won't start. But if you unlock the doors put the key near the ignition and pressing the unlock button all the time while turning the key it will start. anybody had this problem before.

Hi,
Have you tried the spare key?

took to dealers today, they can't the problem, charged half an hour on the star. he said it's either the key or the ignition, start with the key it's the cheapest, £219 less 3% Mercedes-Benz club discount. but at least it will be the new silver type key.

Strange. As far as I know the door lock functions are not connected to the ignition lock system. In fact the batteries are not needed to start the car, only to open the doors.

took to dealers today, they can't the problem, charged half an hour on the star. he said it's either the key or the ignition, start with the key it's the cheapest, £219 less 3% Mercedes-Benz club discount. but at least it will be the new silver type key.

I would start with a new key, a spare that you don't have. But I would not expect it to be the key if the key turns in the ignition slot, then the drive authorisation function has already been passed. Sounds more like the EIS issue but I would prefer to be sure about the key first before trying a new EIS.

If have a phone with camera point your key while you would like to do picture on your phone. Keep it close (1-2 inches away from camera lens) and press all buttons.

You should see flashing light in a place of infrared lens on a key while you press it. If its strong and it flash everytime then you know your key is OK. If its intermittent and very weak - you know its your key. Start of by changing batteries. They cost £5 and it might do the job.

On other hand my CLK had similar issue with ignition switch. Make sure your batteires are strong and when you put your key in and if you wont hear this buzzing sound, try whiggle key and slightly move it opopsite way to start possition. Mine originate issue with contacts due to old key and switch but it worked everytime.

They are extremly expensive but a lot of times there simple and stupid faults with them. A lot times fixed by batteries.

In case you dont know how to open your key... take blade out and use it to press grey slide/peg inside on top of your key. Use your nail to split both parts of a key and it will slide apart. You will notice 2 flat bateries (they comes as pack from Merc).

I would start with a new key, a spare that you don't have. But I would not expect it to be the key if the key turns in the ignition slot, then the drive authorisation function has already been passed. Sounds more like the EIS issue but I would prefer to be sure about the key first before trying a new EIS.

The key would only turn when pressing the unlock button, if you put the key in without pressing rthe unlock button there was nothing there, The 1st RAC mam found this out by messing about with the key. went to the post office yesterday and the key would not work at all, had to wait for the RAC to turn up he said my car is to big for him to tow so it will have to go on the truck to the dealer, where it's there now, hopefully it is i left the car with truck and walked home.
If it is the EIS i would need a new key anyway, my old key will not work with the software in the EIS. the new key will be coded to my old EIS, if that does not work the new key will be coded to the new EIS.

If have a phone with camera point your key while you would like to do picture on your phone. Keep it close (1-2 inches away from camera lens) and press all buttons.

You should see flashing light in a place of infrared lens on a key while you press it. If its strong and it flash everytime then you know your key is OK. If its intermittent and very weak - you know its your key. Start of by changing batteries. They cost £5 and it might do the job.

On other hand my CLK had similar issue with ignition switch. Make sure your batteries are strong and when you put your key in and if you wont hear this buzzing sound, try whiggle key and slightly move it opopsite way to start possition. Mine originate issue with contacts due to old key and switch but it worked everytime.

They are extremely expensive but a lot of times there simple and stupid faults with them. A lot times fixed by batteries.

In case you dont know how to open your key... take blade out and use it to press grey slide/peg inside on top of your key. Use your nail to split both parts of a key and it will slide apart. You will notice 2 flat bateries (they comes as pack from Merc).

Thats what MB told me to do have a look through the lens of the camera for the IR, i did and it did work, the RAC man tested my batteries, just under 3V but he changed them anyway and that did solve the problem.

The key would only turn when pressing the unlock button, if you put the key in without pressing rthe unlock button there was nothing there, The 1st RAC mam found this out by messing about with the key. went to the post office yesterday and the key would not work at all, had to wait for the RAC to turn up he said my car is to big for him to tow so it will have to go on the truck to the dealer, where it's there now, hopefully it is i left the car with truck and walked home.
If it is the EIS i would need a new key anyway, my old key will not work with the software in the EIS. the new key will be coded to my old EIS, if that does not work the new key will be coded to the new EIS.

In this case I would guess it is the power coil in your key that has come off. Open the key, take the circuit board out and see if it has any loose components or bad solder points. Could be that you are physically forcing a contact to a bad part when you press the button.

:bannana::bannana: Fixed it was the key

yes i had to buy a new key, still waiting for the blade part to arrive that will be next week. i took the old key apart there was one tiny thing that was loose, i took the key to a TV repair man to stick it back on, but the old key still doesn't work.
but hey I'm back on the road in my pride and joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom