Key won't turn - steering lock not engaged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Avass Malik

Hi all, I've got a 2004 240 CLK. I unlocked the car and the indicators only flashed once I got in tried turning the key and I couldn't. After a few moments of me trying to turn the key the car started as normal.
I drove it for around 20 minutes stopping at a local supermarket, I stopped the car went in and when I returned the key wouldn't turn ar all. I called the AA who towed me home.
Now I'm stuck to what's wrong with it. I only say the indicators flashed once as I'm sure they normally flash 3 times.
Could it be the immobiliser?
The steering lock as it's not engaging?

Or any ideas? I called a place where I buy parts from the said if I need the steering lock I need to recode it to my car.

Please help.

Many thanks
Avass

Have you spoken to your mechanic? I know from experience the ignition switch sometimes go; but it could also be a number of other things :)

Is it the same with the spare key? If so it sounds like the EIS (electronic ignition switch) has failed. Not unheard off. We had this issue with a W203 whilst still under warranty.

As above, try the spare key first, if that solves it your key may need resynchronising to the car, a fiddly job, have a google, or you may need a new key.

As above, try the spare key first, if that solves it your key may need resynchronising to the car, a fiddly job, have a google, or you may need a new key.
Mibbe even just a new battery,or the coil replaced in the key fob.

Not too sure , but has this kind of fault sometimes been traced to the 'Park' switch on the gear selector breaking down.? Car thinks it is not in P and will not allow ignition key to turn. Worth a look in that direction maybe 🤷‍♂️

Mibbe even just a new battery,or the coil replaced in the key fob.
I think the battery only operates the lock/unlock, there is a sensor inside the key which reacts to the ignition slot, hence the metal key for when the battery dies to get into the car and still start it.

I think the battery only operates the lock/unlock, there is a sensor inside the key which reacts to the ignition slot, hence the metal key for when the battery dies to get into the car and still start it.
I was referring to the battery in the key fob,you can only open door with metal key and you have no place to fit the key into to operate starter.
The key fob talks to the steering immobiliser and fires a solenoid to dis arm steering lock and allow key to turn on ignition and engine,the small coil inside the key fob gives up and then doesn’t communicate with the immobiliser,look it up on YouTube.

Could be the start of a failing ignition switch (EIS). Is the car battery healthy?

Try the spare key!

+1 for trying the spare key before wasting any more time on checking anything else. If the spare key works, then the fault lies in the offending key. If the spare key doesn't work, then most like the EIS is failing or has failed.

Give up lad's . The OP posted once nearly 5 months ago and has not returned. Probably got the fault sorted and forgot to come back to let us know how .

It happens...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom