keyboard acting weird?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi all

You may already know of my PCW business support disasters from another thread. Separate to that my laptop came back from repair and had been reformatted by me in error, so I reinstalled everything, did all the updates etc etc.
In my wifes profile, but not in mine or the kids', we have a problem with the keyboard. When she puts the number lock on (to use the number keyboard on the right) the central keys on the letters keyboard become numbers which is very very weird. I just cannot work out what is going on as I don't know much about computers to be honest.
As a slight side issue, when in internet explorer (again in her profile) the back key doesnt work in the search box of her home page, so for instance if you typed qwertyiop then wanted to go back and put the u in, the cursor would just flick back to the right. Again weird.
And finally ....(drum roll)......in Word 2007, when creating a new document it double spaces all typing unless modifying an existing document. Weird.

So despite having 3 kids here none of them can help. Anyone take pity on me please?

Cheers

Hi John
This is assuming you bought the machine from a retailer in the UK:

Go into the control panel
Start > Control Panel

Double click the "Regional and Language" icon... double check that the Standards and formats are set to English (United Kingdom) and the location at the bottom is set to United Kingdom.
Click on the next tab in the top of that window entitled: "Languages" and then on the "details" button - everything in here also needs to read United Kingdom.

Click OK to finish and then restart .. how is it now?

5'0 ty*5ng th5s w5th the n40ber 36c2 6n 5n 0y *r6f53e.

And now I'm typing with the number lock off in my profile - yes, its happening to me too.
Weird. Have checked all the above settings and they are spot on :(

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Sounds to me like a laptop keyboard driver has been installed.

I'd delete the keyboard in device manager and then scan for new hardware and see what it finds.

It is an HP Pavilion laptop.

And nope, am sober.......till the weekend anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom