Keyless Car Washing Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helpthejuggler

Car
E220d 2017
My first attempt at jet-washing shows that I need to think about this a little more.

I had the key in my pocket, and the doors kept unlocking as I aimed water near the handle. The wing mirrors were folding/unfolding and the hose being dragged under the rear opened the boot mid-wash.

I can see the similar problem with automatic car washes too.

Is there a checklist to follow to car wash without stress?

Should I disable the car key with a double press?
Get out of the car leaving it in neutral and stand far away?

Thanks for any tips...

Would the Keyless locking/unlocking operate with the key (and you) inside the car?

When hand washing the car I remember to leave the Lexus fob back in the house (after unlocking) well away...

When hand washing the car I remember to leave the Lexus fob back in the house (after unlocking) well away...

This is what I do (though with a Merc :))

Car into position, unlock it, key out of range.

Would the Keyless locking/unlocking operate with the key (and you) inside the car?

Maybe it is a simple as leaving a key in the car to stop the doors locking while I wash. is there a way to stop the boot opening accidentally?

Maybe it is a simple as leaving a key in the car to stop the doors locking while I wash. is there a way to stop the boot opening accidentally?
Do as Dave says: unlock the car and then put the key out of range.

If you unlock the car, open/close the door does it automatically lock after X amount of time?

I've not had a Merc with this feature but other cars and found if I did the above it stayed unlocked and didn't cause any trouble :)

Rather than putting the key out of range, has anyone found a way of keeping the key on you but in some kind of protective sleeve/pouch that totally shields the signal?

I ask for this reason and, more importantly for me, to prevent thieves from amplifying the signal from any key in the house or restaurant, wherever, as discussed on another thread here.

You'd rather they break into your house, or mug you for it instead?

Excuse my ignorance but can you not just disable the Keyless function and use it like a traditional key touch system?

Thank the Lord that there are no starving children in the world.

Excuse my ignorance but can you not just disable the Keyless function and use it like a traditional key touch system?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep the car unlocked whilst you wash it...

You WASH your car?
How very odd.
Mine gets washed when it goes in for a service.

You'd rather they break into your house, or mug you for it instead?
Neither. But I'd rather not make it really easy for thieves to just drive off my cherished car into a container somewhere. For the security aspects (sorry to take this one off-topic folks!) I'll take my further comments over to the other thread.

Surely this is a wind up??

I have the same issue as 'Helpthejuggler' I rarely wash my car by hand, but when I have, the doors and boot take on a mind of their own. Also I have often returned to my car parked in a busy London street only to find the boot open! probably because the key may have been squished in my jeans pocket. When I put my car through and automatic carwash, I am always concerned the boot will ping open and then the boot lid would promptly be destroyed! That's not a key squish problem, that's the under car sensor when it gets sprayed. I definitely need to know how to temporarily disable the auto boot opener. (BTW you cannot put the key out of range, if you are sitting in an automatic carwash - chucking it out of the window is not an option)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom