Keyless Entry Car Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
Seen the previous posts about this and there was an item on the "One Show" tonight about cars with keyless entry being stolen with some hi tech gear. I was a bit concerned as we have a static caravan on the coast and I would assume that picking up the keyfob signal through the walls of one of these would be child's play.
Anyway am I being stupid or what ??
Coming home tonight and thinking about this problem it suddenly occurred to me that if I remove the Stop/Start button from the ignition then grabbing the keyless signal isn't any use as you can't actually start the car without the button ??????????????

You could always keep your key in a Keyfob RFID Signal Blocking Bag from the likes of Amazon etc

You can mask the key with a signal blocking bag ,keep the key in a foil lined box ,or spend the £350 and have the Ghost fitted and then they cannot steal your car even if they have captured your key,I am amazed that owners who buy a £40 grand plus car do not make their first purchase the system that stops all this happening.

Or do a quick double tap on the lock button which switches off the key transmitter until you next press a button on it. Somewhat negates the value of the thing though.

I like the idea of the Ghost but the missus wasn't prepared to do the required messing every time.

I'm surprised there isn't an option in vehicle settings to disable the Keyless Go function. Further, I'm pretty sure that MB could incorporate a 'PIN to activate' system if they wanted to.

As for The Ghost, does sound interesting, but getting the other-half onboard might be troublesome.

Ghost is from £369? :eek:

It's quite rudimentary but I keep my keyless fobs in a little tin pot!

When paying £40k plus for a car I expect it not to need any aftermarket anti theft devices . I had enough of that back in the 80's & 90's when even a basic antitheft system was not even offered as an extra.

I agree with you, but if the car you really want DOES need something extra, do you give up on it and buy something else?

Wrap the keys in a bit of aluminium kitchen foil when inside the caravan. Test it by going out to the car with it wrapped in foil- car shouldn't unlock.

Just bought a faraday cage pouch for £10 on Ebay. Doing the double tap thing until pouch arrives. I am also parking the car as far away from my house as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom