Keyless entry, Kick under bumper, Mercedes refuse to inform me how to operate my car safely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m getting wiser. Changing golf shoes earlier: sitting on boot edge, with key in my pocket, heard the *bong* so dived for the ground! Success, it missed me (this time). Still can’t open it by waving my feet around though!! Grrrrrr

I’m getting wiser. Changing golf shoes earlier: sitting on boot edge, with key in my pocket, heard the *bong* so dived for the ground! Success, it missed me (this time). Still can’t open it by waving my feet around though!! Grrrrrr
Has it been switched off in the convenience menu? Just a thought as my car had functions that I wasn't even aware of until I was pointed in this direction.:)

I don't have the underfloor swipe closing system on my s213 since we have a towbar (you can't have both) but I have had the boot close a couple of times when I was standing under it I presume due to the key in my trouser pocket being accidentally activated due to some unintended pressure. I got clonked on the head once. My fault - shouldn't have had the key in a tight pocket. Am I going to sue MB - no.

It also looks to me from the video that the OP didn't put their foot under the car hence I'd suggest that this is accidental operation of the fob.
Bluegnomes
I was told the underfloor swipe would not work with the electric towbar but it does ! (Dec 2018 S213 E400d)

H

I don't have the underfloor swipe closing system on my s213 since we have a towbar (you can't have both) but I have had the boot close a couple of times when I was standing under it I presume due to the key in my trouser pocket being accidentally activated due to some unintended pressure. I got clonked on the head once. My fault - shouldn't have had the key in a tight pocket. Am I going to sue MB - no.

It also looks to me from the video that the OP didn't put their foot under the car hence I'd suggest that this is accidental operation of the fob.

You can have the swipe close and a tow bar. I have both and they work fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems an appropriate thread for this:
:D

Yes, I did wonder if the reason for the hatch opening/closing when unexpected might he to do with a slightly different positioning of the foot wavy sensor thing.

That clip backs up my hypothesis. Clearly Ford has chosen to go the other way in making sure it doesn't get triggered too soon.

Yes, I did wonder if the reason for the hatch opening/closing when unexpected might he to do with a slightly different positioning of the foot wavy sensor thing.

That clip backs up my hypothesis. Clearly Ford has chosen to go the other way in making sure it doesn't get triggered too soon.

Phew! It's a good job it wasn't raining :confused:

Hi Simon
We are getting this feature on the car we have just ordered. Are you saying it might close without making any noise and without giving ANY type of warning?

I am asking this as the only driver of this new vehicle will be my wife, someone I have been married to for over 50 years and someone I love dearly. If that tailgate can shut by itself without giving any warning, and without making any type of noise, I want to know?

You might not want to answer these questions but hopefully others with the same feature might very kindly answer this alleged fault.

On our current S211 you have to press a button but we can definitely hear the electric gizzmos doing their thing.

I am surprised that these things don't have a sensor that stops the tailgate from closing if there's an obstruction? Tesla has it, so it can't be rocket science (no pun intended in respect of Mr Musk's other pursuits).

Hi Simon
We are getting this feature on the car we have just ordered. Are you saying it might close without making any noise and without giving ANY type of warning?
As the original poster hasn't been on here for around 18 months, you may not get a reply from him too quickly...

I was tactfully hoping that other owners might have reassured me, but thinking about the original post... How on earth was the author hit on the nose? If you are taking, or putting in anything into the rear of the car then unless you have arms the length of an orangutang, surely we would be standing close to the bumper and that tailgate would bang our head? If we were standing way further back, then would that be when your nose would be clipped?

If anyone does have this keyless option can they perhaps reassure me that there is not a concern?

If anyone does have this keyless option can they perhaps reassure me that there is not a concern?
I think that Post #107 (above) by a respected MB dealer and also the one he quoted by a long-term forum member should hopefully allay your concerns.

I think that Post #107 (above) by a respected MB dealer and also the one he quoted by a long-term forum member should hopefully allay your concerns.
Thank you very much for pointing out someone whose words will certainly be listened to and taken on board.

I believe that in New Zealand if you trip over a paving slap, I believe the local authority write you a letter advising you to look where you are walking :)

I haven't been caught with the tailgate thus far when loading bikes etc in. I have the concertina load cill protector so I am usually concentrating on NOT putting my feet under it when loading the boot so it wont start to close.

When lifting heavy/awkward stuff into my previous S205 estate, my AMG carbon umbrella makes a perfect prop, the boot will try to move and reset itself. I need a slightly shorter one to make this solution work in the GT....

On our cars I'm sure that the tailgates sound an alert, and the motor/struts make a noise too, so you'd know it was moving even without an alert, unless the person is hard of hearing or in a very noisy environment.

In my experience your feet have to be deliberately moving and well beneath the bumper, and so it's not a natural position for standing in when loading/unoading, and as such requires a deliberate action to trigger.

In fact I find that getting the thing to blooming activate is a bigger issue, but maybe I just have small feet and long arms.

My thoughts exactly, along with an audible warning too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great if you're deaf, or have limited mobility.

Is this 'feature' offered in the USA without any form of user protection?

This feature is available in the USA, and works just as it does in the UK. A push with your hand against it will stop it closing. There is also a manual stop button. What are people wanting here, that MB demonstrate and prove its safety by placing a new born baby in its closing path?

Its another none issue. Another user failed to read and UNDERSTAND the owners manual, made himself look foolish, and now wants to blame someone else. You can (and are free to) buy a car without convenience closing features, other options are available.

The text in the user manual is idiot proof, becuase, you know, it was written buy the people who built the car.

IMG_7355.PNG

If you've indicated that you may be taking legal advice, I'm not surprised the dealership has clammed up. They won't want to get caught between you and MB corporate, with whom you may or may not have a case.
I know it’s old news but I agree, instigating legal action sends a message to the opposite party.

If the OP wanted answers to their questions outside of the formality of solicitors letters then they ought to have held back a little longer on instructing their solicitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom