Keyless entry - paranoid about theft

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
Seems it is connected to the interior CAN, sniffs messages and lets them pass if deactivated. An average joe would not know what is going on but an average thief would know where the CAN distributors are and fix the wiring to original. Not much more security than in the past when an alarm relay cuts the starter solenoid drive.

Please convince me, there must be more than I figured out.
I just take the battery out of the spare key when not using it.

nas2021

Car
W213 E400d
Seems it is connected to the interior CAN, sniffs messages and lets them pass if deactivated. An average joe would not know what is going on but an average thief would know where the CAN distributors are and fix the wiring to original. Not much more security than in the past when an alarm relay cuts the starter solenoid drive.

Ultimately if somebody is going to steal your car they will. Any security device is going to slow the thief down and hopefully put them off trying to steal the car. That's the purpose of getting additonal security devices.

The thief wouldn't know you have a ghost so when they try and boost your key signal it wouldn't work. Unless you have a really specific car I don't think most car thiefs are going to start messing around trying to remove your ghost or bypass it.

Germgh0st

SUPPORTER
Car
W205 AMG C43

The Ghost is very small and it can be installed pretty much anywhere in the car. It's also not detectable by scanning devices. There have been very few cases of a car with Ghost installed being stolen, and those were due to a vulberability in the iOS app which was patched some time ago.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
We fit loads of Ghosts to high end Mercedes - most people don't quite trust themselves to double click the key :)
Speak to Mark on sales@comand.co.uk (forum sponsor..)

R

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
I just take the battery out of the spare key when not using it.
Bit overkill that.
Depending on the age of the car, just double press the lock button to disable the key transmission, or wrap the spare key in tin foil.
Also depending on the age, the key may well deactivate itself when no movement is detected.

Boyband

Car
Mercedes C207 E400
Hi , The first thing I did was to remove the stop start button on my car.Just use the key as a normal key.

Remember must double click key when locking the car ( and the spare key )

I have purchased a couple of Faraday pouches for keys and then put them in a steel box.

Installed a Thatcham approved tracker.

I purchased a deep dish steering wheel lock as the main lock I had would not fit the steering wheel.(Thatcham approved)

I have used both together as a nucience factor.

I have a very good external lighting system so any movement out side the lights come on.

Am I paronoid about my car being stolen , I don't think so but if your car has been ordered by a professional gang my devices will slow down the theives but not stop them taking my car.

Never never challenge the scum bags because a car can be replaced !

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
I don't think it's overkill, the spare key has been sat in a cupboard for the last 3 yrs with the battery out. I just double press the fob on the one I am using to kill the signal.
Bit overkill that.
Depending on the age of the car, just double press the lock button to disable the key transmission, or wrap the spare key in tin foil.
Also depending on the age, the key may well deactivate itself when no movement is detected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom