Keyless entry - paranoid about theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems it is connected to the interior CAN, sniffs messages and lets them pass if deactivated. An average joe would not know what is going on but an average thief would know where the CAN distributors are and fix the wiring to original. Not much more security than in the past when an alarm relay cuts the starter solenoid drive.

Please convince me, there must be more than I figured out.
I just take the battery out of the spare key when not using it.

Seems it is connected to the interior CAN, sniffs messages and lets them pass if deactivated. An average joe would not know what is going on but an average thief would know where the CAN distributors are and fix the wiring to original. Not much more security than in the past when an alarm relay cuts the starter solenoid drive.

Ultimately if somebody is going to steal your car they will. Any security device is going to slow the thief down and hopefully put them off trying to steal the car. That's the purpose of getting additonal security devices.

The thief wouldn't know you have a ghost so when they try and boost your key signal it wouldn't work. Unless you have a really specific car I don't think most car thiefs are going to start messing around trying to remove your ghost or bypass it.

The Ghost is very small and it can be installed pretty much anywhere in the car. It's also not detectable by scanning devices. There have been very few cases of a car with Ghost installed being stolen, and those were due to a vulberability in the iOS app which was patched some time ago.

I just take the battery out of the spare key when not using it.
Bit overkill that.
Depending on the age of the car, just double press the lock button to disable the key transmission, or wrap the spare key in tin foil.
Also depending on the age, the key may well deactivate itself when no movement is detected.

Hi , The first thing I did was to remove the stop start button on my car.Just use the key as a normal key.

Remember must double click key when locking the car ( and the spare key )

I have purchased a couple of Faraday pouches for keys and then put them in a steel box.

Installed a Thatcham approved tracker.

I purchased a deep dish steering wheel lock as the main lock I had would not fit the steering wheel.(Thatcham approved)

I have used both together as a nucience factor.

I have a very good external lighting system so any movement out side the lights come on.

Am I paronoid about my car being stolen , I don't think so but if your car has been ordered by a professional gang my devices will slow down the theives but not stop them taking my car.

Never never challenge the scum bags because a car can be replaced !

I don't think it's overkill, the spare key has been sat in a cupboard for the last 3 yrs with the battery out. I just double press the fob on the one I am using to kill the signal.
Bit overkill that.
Depending on the age of the car, just double press the lock button to disable the key transmission, or wrap the spare key in tin foil.
Also depending on the age, the key may well deactivate itself when no movement is detected.

At the end of the day this is what insurance is for. Stop worrying too much and just enjoy your car - if somebody wants it that much they will take it. Waste of energy worrying.

At the end of the day this is what insurance is for. Stop worrying too much and just enjoy your car - if somebody wants it that much they will take it. Waste of energy worrying.

My e350 has been parked outside now for 3 years , I don't bother with , crisp packets, microwave ovens, removing fob batteries, Faraday pouches, steering wheel locks . I simply click lock twice . Best advice I can give is get rid of that stop start button and use the key to start the car.

I keep reading this “If someone wants it, they’ll get it” comment, so I’m keen to understand how they would get it, if for example the car had a Ghost II installed (especially as I’ve just picked up my EQS).

My spare key had a double press, just a moment before I placed it in a new Faraday box and I’m currently putting my main key in the box when I get home, even after double pressing to lock the car.

I’d like to use Keyless Go, so I think I’ll go with a single press and then put it straight in the new Faraday box (maybe I won’t lock it until I get indoors and then place it straight in the Faraday box?).

I keep reading this “If someone wants it, they’ll get it” comment, so I’m keen to understand how they would get it, if for example the car had a Ghost II installed (especially as I’ve just picked up my EQS).

My spare key had a double press, just a moment before I placed it in a new Faraday box and I’m currently putting my main key in the box when I get home, even after double pressing to lock the car.

I’d like to use Keyless Go, so I think I’ll go with a single press and then put it straight in the new Faraday box (maybe I won’t lock it until I get indoors and then place it straight in the Faraday box?).

In my case my car can only be taken by lifting - but a tow truck lifting a car in a supermarket car park wouldn't catch much attention.

In my case my car can only be taken by lifting - but a tow truck lifting a car in a supermarket car park wouldn't catch much attention.
That’s fair, but wouldn’t the Mercedes Me app ping you to tell you the alarm was going off (if you use it of course)?

That’s fair, but wouldn’t the Mercedes Me app ping you to tell you the alarm was going off (if you use it of course)?

Probably, but would you notice it whilst shopping? And would you be able to get out to the car park in time?

Plenty of ways a determined professional thief could lift a car, doesn't need to be a proper lifter. Rollers under the wheels perhaps? Sure there are many ways it could be done if you think about it.

Plenty of people on here keep keys relatively close to the front door (i.e. not tucked upstairs in a safe or what have you), living with the idea that if someone is so keen on breaking into/smashing into your house to get the car keys, they can blooming well have them and keep away from me and my family. Not common, but does happen and I think someone on here reported this exact issue for their E63 I think it was?
If someone has a tasty/expensive motor and is in and they/their family held at knife-point for the keys and then a minute later for a suspected ghost immobiliser sequence, I personally would rather just let them find the keys quickly and be on their way.

In terms of how quickly someone can get into your house, there is a video on YouTube of Eddie Hall trying to break into a series of front doors (it was also a security demonstration advert for a door manufacturer).
With a standard UPVC door, it was two hits with a sledgehammer, and on the second hit about 2 seconds in, the door bust off it's hinges and went flying into where the hall would have been (in this instance, it was just a demo wall built with doors installed). Okay, maybe Eddie Hall isn't coming for your car, but the take away is it's seconds with a sledgehammer to smash a lot of doors in, not minutes.

If you can get Ghost to shut the car down after a couple of miles or something, that would be better as they are aware from the property.
The other deterents are of course physical time barriers. Garage. Pull up bollards. Steering lock. Another car parked in front on the drive. Most of these, they will be faffing around outside to tackle these themselves, at which point it becomes a pain, and therefore increases likelihood of moving on.

I really like Keyless Go, so what I do now when I park on the drive at home is then not lock the car until I’m inside and about to drop the keys into my new Faraday box.

I really like Keyless Go, so what I do now when I park on the drive at home is then not lock the car until I’m inside and about to drop the keys into my new Faraday box.
I for one am struggling to understand this statement! If you really like "Keyless Go" and you double tap the Key Fob, how do you get into the car when you are ready to go somewhere? :rolleyes:

I also don't understand the fanatical use of "Faraday Pouches" if the Car is Double Locked and the Key Fob Double Tapped then the System can't be interfered with Electronically! ;)

I for one am struggling to understand this statement! If you really like "Keyless Go" and you double tap the Key Fob, how do you get into the car when you are ready to go somewhere? :rolleyes:
It’s really simple (I also never mentioned double locking the car).

1. Get home and park car on drive.
  2. Walk indoors.
  3. Lock car and immediately drop keys into faraday box.
Then, when I leave…

1. Open Faraday box and remove keys.
  2. Walk to car and watch car unlock for me and handles pop out.
  3. Get in car, press Start button.
  4. Drive car away.
See? Simple. :rolleyes:

It’s really simple (I also never mentioned double locking the car).

1. Get home and park car on drive.
  2. Walk indoors.
  3. Lock car and immediately drop keys into faraday box.
Then, when I leave…

1. Open Faraday box and remove keys.
  2. Walk to car and watch car unlock for me and handles pop out.
  3. Get in car, press Start button.
  4. Drive car away.
See? Simple. :rolleyes:
I get home and park in my garage, lock the car, double tap the Key Fob, the Fob is then "Locked Out" of interference by any Electronic Devices, don't need any Faraday Boxes or Pouches! Simples!;)

As far as I am aware, when the car is locked and the Key Fob is left at a standstill for over 30 Seconds, the Key Fob is then "Locked Out". :)

No Faraday Box, walk to car, strain myself to push a button on the Key Fob, doors unlock, get in car press Start Button, always remember to open the garage Door, then drive car away! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom