Keyless entry question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Chaps, can someone clear something up for me? I’ve just bought a new Audi. Whilst the car does NOT have keyless entry (I have to unlock it with the blip fob) it DOES have keyless ignition (once you’ve unlocked it, you press a button to start the engine).

Am I right in thinking that the recent spate of thefts is specifically regarding cars with keyless ENTRY and that my car is no susceptible to someone scanning the fob from outside and relaying that to the car?

I’m just trying to work out if I should be keeping the fob in a metal box or Faraday pouch. I concluded that I don’t need to, but I thought I should ask here.

Thanks in advance, and no smart comments about “you should have bought a Merc”!!

MB do this weird arrangement too. It's like the worst of both worlds. You have to get the key out to open the doors, but then you don't have a slot (or keyhole) to put it in inside the car, so you either have to have a large keyfob in your pocket (very uncomfortable on a long journey) or else put it somewhere in a door pocket or centre console making sure it doesn't rattle or move around when cornering. First world problems, I know, but still...

So.......to my original question - any requirement to keep such a key safe in a box or is it not one that can be scanned? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I ain't technical but I do read a lot about the theft of cars with keyless systems

So.......to my original question - any requirement to keep such a key safe in a box or is it not one that can be scanned? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I ain't technical but I do read a lot about the theft of cars with keyless systems

If the car starts keyless then it can be scanned and started. It may be more difficult for thieves to get in, but certainly not impossible! Get a pouch for £5 on a Amazon / e bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom