Keyless Entry Theft From Driveway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Personally, I’d rather the car was stolen off the drive without being threatened or having our house broken into.
Absolutely. As personal as it seems and as nasty as it is to happen, the vehicle is relatively simple to replace. I certainly wouldn’t want to get within spitting distance of these moronic plebs or anyone else in my family. Thoughts with the OP btw.

Sadly its one of the most common theft methods at the moment. Tracker is the way to go, together with a steering lock and also a faraday pouch, but it they want it they will take it via burglary, assault etc etc.....

all we can do is make it as hard as possible so they move on to an easier target.

I’d like to see a COMAND/Dash Computer menu option to switch keyless off.
Absolutely this. I have no use for keyless entry and I want to turn it off permanently.
Even if my hands are full, I've still got to pull the handle. What convenience does it provide? Other than to thieves?
One the plus side for me, I've been "double locking" since I had a Vectra back in about 2011 as it activated the deadlocks, I've done it with every car I've had since, regardless of if it did anything out of habit :)

Really feel for the OP though. It's a gut sinking feeling when you realise somethings been stolen.

I see no use for a tracker. If someone steals my car I dont want it back.
Exactly, I wouldn’t want a tainted car back.

I’d consider buying a stolen recovered car if it was cheap enough but wouldn’t want to be smoking about in one I’d paid full price for.

I keep eyeing up w212 E63s. There is a tenorite grey one just come up on Autotrader yesterday. Same colour as my w212, which I love. But this thread reminds me that the best way of practicing self defence and not being punched/assaulted is by not being in a situation to be punched/assaulted.

Because I park on the drive upfront of the house, that means keeping my 10 year old dieseasle Merc. This thread has helped me make my mind up. I don't live in a property with a large amount of secure land and outbuildings, and therefore I just don't want the hassle. I live in 'the best area' of the town I live in, but that also means the scrotes that are constantly casing houses stick out like a sore thumb. Summer's worse when strolling around in the sunshine picking targets must be rather pleasant, compared with the cold and lashing rain at this time of the year.

It must be an awful feeling to look out and see your car gone, but as others have said, if the pondlife want your car,they'll take it. Best they take it easily without breaking your door down to come and 'persuade' you to give up the keys.
What struck me about the video was the calm way they went about it; even to the extent of having the can of de-icer ready. Talk about "going equipped"

But this thread reminds me that the best way of practicing self defence and not being punched/assaulted is by not being in a situation to be punched/assaulted.

I live in 'the best area' of the town I live in, but that also means the scrotes that are constantly casing houses stick out like a sore thumb.

We are in a similar situation location wise and i am in exactly the same mindset as yourself regarding having a uber desirable car parked in the driveway. Was contemplating an M4 / C63s / RS5 Coupe as the next toy but have had a word with myself regarding owning one until i get a bigger garage or sell the bikes to get a car inside.

Fortunately i have not heard of any thefts or attempted thefts in our area but there is always a first time. Just around the corner there are rich pickings to be had for the scum as there is : C63s wagon / C43 coupe / Macan / 719 / M6 / S3 x 2 / Disco 4 / numerous newish Mercs + BM`s all within a couple of houses of each other.

Now we are working "Covid" hours our (engineering) nightshift finishes when production finishes and when heading home i am amazed at the amount of people milling around at 3 / 4am looking dodgy as anything. Came home a few months back at 03:30 and there was a shed of a fully occupied Audi TT parked just along the street from us looking totally out of place , as soon as i drove past they naffed off :dk:

K

I keep eyeing up w212 E63s. There is a tenorite grey one just come up on Autotrader yesterday. Same colour as my w212, which I love. But this thread reminds me that the best way of practicing self defence and not being punched/assaulted is by not being in a situation to be punched/assaulted.

Because I park on the drive upfront of the house, that means keeping my 10 year old dieseasle Merc. This thread has helped me make my mind up. I don't live in a property with a large amount of secure land and outbuildings, and therefore I just don't want the hassle. I live in 'the best area' of the town I live in, but that also means the scrotes that are constantly casing houses stick out like a sore thumb. Summer's worse when strolling around in the sunshine picking targets must be rather pleasant, compared with the cold and lashing rain at this time of the year.

That's sad, if you can afford and want an E63, get one. If I could afford an E63 though, I'd assume that I can also afford to get one of those retractable bollards in the driveway, trackers, a cloud based dash cam, a faraday pouch and a big stick.

I'd also consider a ghost immobiliser if I could afford an M car or AMG.

That's sad, if you can afford and want an E63, get one. If I could afford an E63 though, I'd assume that I can also afford to get one of those retractable bollards in the driveway, trackers, a cloud based dash cam, a faraday pouch and a big stick.

I'd also consider a ghost immobiliser if I could afford an M car or AMG.

In addition to the above I'd afford a garage to put it in. It's not that cars kept in a garage are immune from theft and I'm sure it must happen but I can't recall a single incidence of keyless go theft from a garage being reported here or anywhere else for that matter, it's always on the drive. My car is in the garage, not that anyone would want it.

I was reading only yesterday of two gang members jailed for 4 years each for stealing at least 26 cars they could be linked to. They were both from Lithuania but no doubt there are plenty more like them out there of all nationalities. I guess that four years means they'll be out in less than two for the theft of £1m of other people's property.

The cars were taken to a unit in Peterborough where they were literally chopped up for export as parts. It was also reported that a number of jamming devices were found to stop the vehicle emitting location signals which may explain why the Mercedes Me app didn't help the OP.

We regularly discuss this topic on here but it seems there is still a widespread lack of awareness of theft linked to keyless go . I agree with @AMGeed, why do the dealers not inform the customers? Also, it shouldn't be too difficult for DVLA to include a theft reminder with (or even on) the vehicle's registration document.
You only have to look on eBay to see multiples of the same item being advertised by suppliers in Lithuania. MB stars and Distronic units being a classic example. Could be genuine breakers of course, but I suspect that there's a lot of stuff on eBay in every country which has dodgy origins.

retractable bollards in the driveway, trackers, a cloud based dash cam, a faraday pouch and a big stick.I'd also consider a ghost immobiliser if I could afford an M car or AMG.

None of which will stop a couple of burly chaps kicking the door in and "politely" asking you ,or your family , for the security details and keys.

If they want it , they will take it anyway they can.

When i got my nearly new 440i a few years ago i was paranoid about theft , or someone trying to get into the house when i was on nights for the keys. I used to block it in with another car at night , had the keys in a pouch , security lights aplenty , had the BMW location app on my phone and we live in a decent area with a very low crime rate and and AFAIK no car theft.

There was a thread on one of the MB forums about a chap loosing his E63 wagon by a couple of burly guys kicking the door in and taking his keys. - posts 86.

I fully understand that we shouldnt let the crims dictate what we should drive with but there comes a point where it is just not worth the grief or hassle of owning an uber desirable and nickable vehicle.

K

Last edited:
I'm still surprised that people who buy expensive cars rely on manufacturer's security, this sort of thing has been news for a good few years now. I spent £500 on a Ghost immobiliser for my C43, along with two CCTV cams and a security light covering the driveway. I also keep my keys in a metal Roses tin, even though the newer keys go to sleep after a period of not moving. Finally I have anti-snap anti-bump locks on all my exterior doors. All of that cost less than 2% of what the car cost me and gives me total piece of mind.

It's not the remote/quiet/keyless/letterbox theft in the night that bothers me. It's the 4 scumbags in balaclavas with knives, bricks and crowbars kicking and smashing their way into the house in the middle of the evening when my family is in the house, as described in Developer's thread that KennyN linked to above.

I have no faith in the Police sorting this type of thing out, and most crims know they can get away with it. In Developer's thread the Police after finding the car didn't pursue it further because 'they had nothing to go on', but after getting the car back, Developer found a knife in the footwell. The Police must have looked really hard!

Theft, aggravated or not, is one of the reasons that I’ve not got an expensive car sitting outside my home.
Ive realised over the years that if you have nice things they’ll eventually get knicked.

It’s a bit of a shame that cars have got so showy, not so long ago top-end Mercs has little bling (even AMG models) and surely didn’t attract as much attention from thieves? My E500 is debadged and can’t be told apart from an E220, which I’ve always liked. I’ve never had a concern for leaving it parked anywhere and this is one reason why I’m not in a hurry to change it! The new E53 looks a wonderful car, but it does say “look at me” all over it and I’m sure that’ll make it much more appealing to thieves.

Of course people break into people's houses with bats and knives etc, but to make out that it's a common occurrence is a far stretch. Plenty of people have nice cars and no one's kidnapping their daughter for ransom. I'm not saying it hasn't happened - I saw that thread on here too, and my friends know me as the 'super paranoid' one, with security cameras, dash cam, trackers, obsessing over where to park etc. I am someone who has suffered from burglaries in the past, too, so I'm not completely oblivious.

But the kind of thefts that use the keyless signal amplification are a different kettle of kippers to people breaking into your house and demanding your keys - they are literally the polar opposite approach to theft. The reason people are doing it is BECAUSE it is 'easy' and silent and can be done without conflict.

I believe that in the vast majority of cases, obvious deterrents make the bad guys much more likely to simply not bother with your house/car.

I'm still surprised that people who buy expensive cars rely on manufacturer's security, this sort of thing has been news for a good few years now. I spent £500 on a Ghost immobiliser for my C43, along with two CCTV cams and a security light covering the driveway. I also keep my keys in a metal Roses tin, even though the newer keys go to sleep after a period of not moving. Finally I have anti-snap anti-bump locks on all my exterior doors. All of that cost less than 2% of what the car cost me and gives me total piece of mind.

Exactly!

Last edited:
I'm more shocked this is still news to people. Enough posts on here about the issue, facebook, media/news etc... Been an issue for years and most people only think about security after the fact.

Sorry to be unkind to the OP, but I thought the same.

I mean, OK it's a faff to have to press the key twice, put it in a pouch etc etc, but leaving the keys in the hall - really?

I must say, incredible how calm and unhurried the thieves acted. And you'd think the frozen car and awkwardness of the way it was parked would put them off.

It’s a bit of a shame that cars have got so showy, not so long ago top-end Mercs has little bling (even AMG models) and surely didn’t attract as much attention from thieves? My E500 is debadged and can’t be told apart from an E220, which I’ve always liked. I’ve never had a concern for leaving it parked anywhere and this is one reason why I’m not in a hurry to change it! The new E53 looks a wonderful car, but it does say “look at me” all over it and I’m sure that’ll make it much more appealing to thieves.
It’s not even showy cars nowadays. A friend of mine has a Kia CEED which was broken into recently.
They stole.....the parcel shelf!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom