Keyless entry thefts. Beware.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Versions of that story have been around for ages. First it was transmitters where you pressed the button to transmit now its the keyless entry ones.

Bit of hypothesis regarding the risk to most of us I would have thought.

This BMW was taken in Ireland a few days ago, keyless entry signal was amplified by the “breadboard" thing held by one of the thieves in the video.
See… https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.s...008496604438/1572869436339595/?type=2&theater

Dec

Interesting but I don't think its the whole story. He gained entry using the time honoured method. Very low tech, I can mange that on many cars. If they had "amplified the signal" sufficiently to start the thing, they would have simply lifted the door handle to get in.

The post as far as I have read does not say it was keyless entry ? if that's the case they may have picked up when she transmits using the conventional pinger which is generally technically easy .

No idea what the breadboard thing is but I can assure you the keyless entry signal on my wifes car does not penetrate our house walls (the passive signal dies after about a foot) so he could have amplified fresh air all night outside of ours :thumb:

Naturally, I keep our cars in a lead-lined garage.

Interesting but I don't think its the whole story. He gained entry using the time honoured method. Very low tech, I can mange that on many cars. If they had "amplified the signal" sufficiently to start the thing, they would have simply lifted the door handle to get in.

The post as far as I have read does not say it was keyless entry ? if that's the case they may have picked up when she transmits using the conventional pinger which is generally technically easy .

No idea what the breadboard thing is but I can assure you the keyless entry signal on my wifes car does not penetrate our house walls (the passive signal dies after about a foot) so he could have amplified fresh air all night outside of ours :thumb:

The owner of the car was on radio yesterday, the gist of the story is that the broke the car window with a sling or a punch so as to hold down the brake pedal with a pole… in order to start the car, no idea why the needed to do that as you point out, the door should have unlocked alright.

This is keyless goes as opposed to the remote fob. No idea why the alarm didn’t go off when the broke the window.

No keys were taken.

The “breadboard” is some sort of device to catch the weak signal and retransmit it to the car, thereby extending the range of the keyless go card… it does seem to have worked, what else could all the “breadboard” waving have been for.

You can listen to radio clip by;
-Go to the below link.
-Scroll down to Car theft.
-Click the Listen button.
Liveline Tuesday 3 May 2016 - Liveline - RTÉ Radio 1

Dec

When my key is within a range of about 20-30 metres e.g. in the house/car on drive or parked outside friends house, small carpark and I'm nearby, I simply deactive the keyless by pressing the key's lock button twice (after locking car)

Once the key is deactivated it can't be amplified.

If I'm in a large car park and I'm a distance away e.g. Westfield I don't bother deactivating

Ah the bliss of a 124. Still stolen I know but not techy stuff to worry about.

One thing I was wondering. On the stolen car in the article, does the key need to remain in proximity for it to run ?

A company Mondeo I used had keyless and as soon as you walked away a certain distance with the transmitter it cut out. However my wifes keyless entry start system does not do that. it will just keep running.

That presents another problem to the thief though, how to restart the car once theyre away from the address.

I have never seen "amateurs" be so focused nicking a relatively sophisticated car although forcing entry remains suss and knocks them down the table.

Its an interesting on. I suspect the manf will either be taking a look and we will hear or they'll currently have their head in their hands moaning "I knew it"

I've just been out and tried the wifes keyless. With the garage door wide open , keys on the work bench and me at the car 1 1/2 metre away , it wont play. The keys in the house is also a no go.

I'm confident they'd need one hell of an amplifier even if they could locate the signal.

Id be intersted to see what everyone else turns up.

As a caveat to all of this NO car is un nickable. It just depends on the lengths you want to go to.

When my key is within a range of about 20-30 metres e.g. in the house/car on drive or parked outside friends house, small carpark and I'm nearby, I simply deactive the keyless by pressing the key's lock button twice (after locking car)

If I'm in a large car park and I'm a distance away e.g. Westfield I don't bother deactivating

that's because you are responsible and helping yourself. I cant believe that individuals like this allegedly intelligent character never thought to "test out" if they could open the door of the car when the keys are on the bedside table.

How hi-tech thieves are defeating keyless car security systems

Ditch, can your wife’s key be turned off?

Dec

Ditch, can your wife’s key be turned off?

Dec

I don't know and I haven't "read the book" . Ive only driven it once lol.

I suspect not but I will check when I can get my hands on the manual.

Why ?

I will be honest. I was concerned when she got it. I like the system but being naturally suspicious :)

I see now, I was just wondering if wife’s key can be deactivated like uumodes key.
Not everyone will be aware of being able to turn off the feature, that is, if it can be turned off in all cars that have keyless go.

It will be interesting what others keyless go owners have to say on this subject of turning off the key.

Dec

I didn't know you could turn the key off, I think ill give it a go later. The thing is if they want your car bad enough they are going to get it, you can make it difficult but do you want three or four scrouts with weapons waking you up to ask for the key's. My son's boss had that happen to him for a Porsche and his wife is still receiving therapy and refuses to stop at the house..

I'm guessing the reason for breaking the window and holding down the brake pedal, is that the guy was waving the square antenna thing around, to get a momentary signal that would open the door. It might be such a hit and miss thing that the driver doesn't want to be sat in the car until they get another successful blip to start the car, thus he breaks the window holds down the brake pedal and pressed the start button, and only gets in when it's started. If people rush out of the house, they can all still get away.

Why the alarm doesn't go off I don't know, or does he only break the window after the unlock ?

My volvo keyless didn't kill the car if you drove off without the key, I haven'y tried it on the GLC, but I suspect it's a requirement that the car keeps running.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could turn the key off, I think ill give it a go later. The thing is if they want your car bad enough they are going to get it, you can make it difficult but do you want three or four scrouts with weapons waking you up to ask for the key's. My son's boss had that happen to him for a Porsche and his wife is still receiving therapy and refuses to stop at the house..

Yes but I expect the insurance company will gravitate towards a non forced entry 'you left the keys in the car' decision and you have no cover. (Maybe)

To deactivate the key

Lock the car, wait a few seconds
Then press the lock button quickly twice in succession and the light on fob flashes.
Then test the operation of keyless entry, you will find the door won't open - deactivation success!

To reactive key, simply press any button on fob
I normally do this when I unlock the car when returning to vehicle (unlocks and re-activates in one go)

The thing is if they want your car bad enough they are going to get it, you can make it difficult but do you want three or four scouts with weapons waking you up to ask for the key's.

Is that what they teach them these days?

Bar-stewards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom