keyless entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blaza10

thinking of buying 2000 ml 270 its advertized with keyless entry how does that work?

blaza10 said:
thinking of buying 2000 ml 270 its advertized with keyless entry how does that work?

You get a credit card sized "key" which you carry about your person. When you go to open the door, it communicates with the car and unlocks the door(s). You then get in the car, press the brake pedal down and press the button on top of the gearlever. This starts the vehicle. When you get to your destination, put the car in park and press the button again. This turns the engine off. When you get out the car, you press the small black button on the door handle and the car locks again. Very nifty.

Sounds cool, but what happens if you lock the doors, then realise you left your glasses/wallet/paper/child in the car and need to open it again. Do you have to wait, or can you press the little button a second time to unlock?

The credit card sized key has now been replaced with a normal MB key (strange I know) so the normal key has the radio transmitter in it.

As mentioned above, you only need to have the key in your pocket to open and start the car.

On the door handle's is a small button, when you leave the car press this button and the doors will lock. To open simply grab the handle and just as you go to pull the door handle the door will unlock.

The car can not be locked if you leave the key inside it, or in your wallet inside the car etc, so its fool proof.

The car will not start unless the key is somewhere in the car either.

I read somewhere that some insurers are refusing to cover cars with keyless entry..?

blaza10 said:

Did the old ML ever come with keyless go as an option?

marcos said:
Did the old ML ever come with keyless go as an option?

Don't believe it did, IIRC Keyless Go was introduced on the W220 & CL215 then found its way onto tht W209. However, this thread started as 'keyless entry', surely that could simply be remote locking operated from the keyfob.

Anything else as described above would be Keyless Go.

or does keyless entry mean the locks bu66ered coz its stolen recovered :D

esox said:
I read somewhere that some insurers are refusing to cover cars with keyless entry..?
Never caused me any problems (touches wood).

Wouldn't put it past them though.

thanks for the response the car is advertised in japan for sale im buying from NZ
its possibbly put on as a factory extra

w220 keyless entry

a friend bought a w220 2001 s320. the keyless go card wont open the doors or start the car....message comes up: "chip card not recognised"..any ideas on how to fix this? cheers

It may be as simple as the battery in the card's gone.

Otherwise a trip to a dealers in order I guess as it will need coding at least. I have bought a replacement card - they're not expensive, about £40 from memory.

Problem scenario = the card's OK but the receiver in the car's not. No idea on how much/tricky that would be.

They are now £70 as I found out when it did not like a 60c wash, plus it can take 40mins hooked up to STAR to do the programming, if the LEDs flash flash for the locking status the batteries should be ok

The credit card sized key has now been replaced with a normal MB key (strange I know) so the normal key has the radio transmitter in it.

As mentioned above, you only need to have the key in your pocket to open and start the car.

On the door handle's is a small button, when you leave the car press this button and the doors will lock. To open simply grab the handle and just as you go to pull the door handle the door will unlock.

The car can not be locked if you leave the key inside it, or in your wallet inside the car etc, so its fool proof.

The car will not start unless the key is somewhere in the car either.

I don't see the point now why pay an extra £880 for a key you already have.

Last edited:
#

I don't se the point now why pay an extra £880 for a key you allready have.

The convenience of Keyless go is nice to have, the reason it has been incorporated in the key was you are told to keep a normal key around in case the card key failed, with the all in one if the keyless part fails, then you can use it as normal

The convenience of Keyless go is nice to have, the reason it has been incorporated in the key was you are told to keep a normal key around in case the card key failed, with the all in one if the keyless part fails, then you can use it as normal
And I've seen a lot of broken cards from people putting them in back pockets or whatever and then sitting on them.

The key version is better than the card i think

And I've seen a lot of broken cards from people putting them in back pockets or whatever and then sitting on them.

The key version is better than the card i think

Yes the key version is the nicer option, the only advantage is that I have two keys and two cards.

BlackC55 suggested that I keep the key in my wallet, and I do that now, so its safe now.
the old system cannot be upgraded to the new key, though I could get the chrome key version, but I am not worried over that.

I have always wondered if they keyless version cause less failures in the DAS part

It makes sense that it would reduce failures in it, most of its failures are the result of wear and tear so the less its directly used the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom