Keyless Entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fmack1

Car
GLA AMG
Hello
I am new here so please be kind ! I have just bought a 20 plate GLA AMG line and was really disappointed that it doesn’t have keyless entry .
Does anyone know if this can be fitted ? Also does anyone know what the black sticker on the handle means and why it looks like it does have keyless entry on drivers door with sensor ? D0F9DAE1-DE62-40BB-8CC6-B8678894CBA4.jpeg

I thought that the chrome top handles signified keyless entry , I've got keyless on my 'C' class but haven't seen that little black sticker.

I thought that the chrome top handles signified keyless entry , I've got keyless on my 'C' class but haven't seen that little black sticker.
I thought that too. The handle on the drivers door is identical to my friends a class which has keyless entry so I’m very confused ! Hopefully someone can shed some more light on it.
Thank you so much for replying ☺️!

I'm not sure about retrofitting keyless entry, maybe the forum sponsors Catalog can help you with this.

That is the NFC symbol for unlocking the car using Mercedes ME and using your cell phone as a key, called 'Digital Key'. Up until earlier this year, you could get an NFC sticker for your phone from the dealer and set it up that way, but I believe the new system through the Mercedes ME is being rolled out. It was working on my car when I got it 12 months ago but I got a message about it being deactivated back in June and to wait for a new, more secure authentication system.

You can unlock the car with your phone, then you have to place the phone on the wireless charging pad or in a certain slot in order to start the car.

I assume your dealer set you up with Mercedes ME already? I would go back and grill them to help you set up the NFC entry if not.

I thought that too. The handle on the drivers door is identical to my friends a class which has keyless entry so I’m very confused ! Hopefully someone can shed some more light on it.
Thank you so much for replying ☺️!
Are you double locking (double press) with the key? This disables the key less entry. I'm assuming you have a starter button not a key slot?

Make sure the keys are out of the car, just touch the small square on the handle once. Does it lock?

Are you double locking (double press) with the key? This disables the key less entry. I'm assuming you have a starter button not a key slot?

Make sure the keys are out of the car, just touch the small square on the handle once. Does it lock?
Thank you so much for replying - I am honestly so grateful for any help.
I have a starter button rather than a key slot. I have tried to enable & disable the keyless entry using the double click to lock and no luck 🙁.
Is it possible my car genuinely doesn’t have that function ?

Put your VIN number into this and it will give you the build card for your car, stating which options and standard equipment it was built with:

Did you buy it new? It could be the previous keeper has had it disabled through diagnostic coding if you are not the first keeper.

Might sound stupid but you are not putting your hand around the handle when you touch the square are you? Only touch the outside to lock and inside to unlock.

Put your VIN number into this and it will give you the build card for your car, stating which options and standard equipment it was built with:

Did you buy it new? It could be the previous keeper has had it disabled through diagnostic coding if you are not the first keeper.

Might sound stupid but you are not putting your hand around the handle when you touch the square are you? Only touch the outside to lock and inside to unlock.
I’m so sorry to have to ask this but I’m not sure what I’m looking for on the build card. Could you help me have a look if you have a minute please ? I bought it new from Mercedes dealership although it had some miles on it. I think a staff member was previously using it ?

Attachments

• 374750BA-F67E-49DF-8D15-3CFE54D703AD.png
    374750BA-F67E-49DF-8D15-3CFE54D703AD.png
    791.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8254CC30-6E32-4237-BEF6-16B7E02BF267.png
    8254CC30-6E32-4237-BEF6-16B7E02BF267.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 66C1AC12-DA18-4333-BC36-911B5A7FB6F8.png
    66C1AC12-DA18-4333-BC36-911B5A7FB6F8.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 87233DEF-2033-4841-B58B-AF7740540EEA.png
    87233DEF-2033-4841-B58B-AF7740540EEA.png
    692.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FB3D5BF5-04C2-41A3-9417-2E5465697633.png
    FB3D5BF5-04C2-41A3-9417-2E5465697633.png
    680.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 5661B363-3AC1-4AF5-BBC4-87341982C549.png
    5661B363-3AC1-4AF5-BBC4-87341982C549.png
    650.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3483F5A1-6831-4B09-A2FA-FC29675DFF1F.png
    3483F5A1-6831-4B09-A2FA-FC29675DFF1F.png
    707 KB · Views: 17
Looking at the rest of the spec of your car, I would be amazed if it doesn't have keyless entry.

Looking at the rest of the spec of your car, I would be amazed if it doesn't have keyless entry.
This gives me hope ! I am used to keyless entry in my previous car which wasn’t anywhere near as luxury as a Mercedes so I honestly can’t believe it doesn’t seem to have it 🤯😨

I did that the first time I tried to lock the car by touching the handle! It's a natural thing to do, wrapping your fingers round but obvs doesn't help in this situation.

This is the first time I have had keyless entry and I thought it was a gimmick but wouldn't be without it now so I feel for the OP if they can't get it working. I would have thought if the car supports NFC then all the necessary capability must be there.

It doesn't have keyless entry as you don't have the memory seat package, which I think is in the premium pack. Its option code 889 and its not shown on the screen shots you put up.

It does have codes 20U and 896 so you can unlock with and drive with the smart phone. I would hit your dealer up to help you set this up.

Last edited:
I did that the first time I tried to lock the car by touching the handle! It's a natural thing to do, wrapping your fingers round but obvs doesn't help in this situation.

This is the first time I have had keyless entry and I thought it was a gimmick but wouldn't be without it now so I feel for the OP if they can't get it working. I would have thought if the car supports NFC then all the necessary capability must be there.
Thanks for the empathy !! Considering I just swapped a 4 year old Ford Fiesta with keyless entry in exchange for a GLA ... it just adds to the horror of not managing to get it working or actually knowing for sure it is there to work 🤣🤣!

Update : I have managed to get the unlocking via my phone app to work . How the heck can I unlock via my phone sitting in the house but not by touching the actual car door 🤯🤯. Surely unlocking via the app is more high tech than keyless touch .

It doesn't have keyless entry as you don't have the memory seat package, which I think is in the premium pack. Its option code 889 and its not shown on the screen shots you put up.

It does have codes 20U and 896 so you can unlock with and drive the smart phone. I would hit your dealer up to help you set this up.
I am kind of gutted about this 🙁😩! But hey bigger things to worry about ☺️ And I can unlock via key and smartphone so not all bad !
Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look through the build card and help me !! I entered this forum attempting to not come across as a completely clueless female 🤣 - I am so grateful for everyone’s time and answers . Thanks for your kindness.

I am kind of gutted about this 🙁😩! But hey bigger things to worry about ☺️ And I can unlock via key and smartphone so not all bad !
Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look through the build card and help me !! I entered this forum attempting to not come across as a completely clueless female 🤣 - I am so grateful for everyone’s time and answers . Thanks for your kindness.
Don't worry about the "clueless" - the forum replies stopped me fruitlessly shouting postcodes at my satnav and explained how to do it properly ...

Well my car has keyless entry,I would suggest that if you have got your car opening and starting via your mobile phone that you make it so you need to put in the code for opening your phone every time you use it,otherwise a phone theft may also be a car theft.

Well my car has keyless entry,I would suggest that if you have got your car opening and starting via your mobile phone that you make it so you need to put in the code for opening your phone every time you use it,otherwise a phone theft may also be a car theft.
Its NFC based, works the same as Apple wallet. The problem currently is Mercedes are transitioning to use the new and more secure Apple Car key in iOS14.

Can someone enlighten me ? I am walking towards my car , keys in hand / in pocket , I press a little button on the key and " hey presto , the car opens. Why the hell would I want to reach into my pocket , unlock my phone , two handed - one to hold it and one to open with fingerprint, press the app button , I assume it's only one press, so that I can unlock the car WTF.

Can someone enlighten me ? I am walking towards my car , keys in hand / in pocket , I press a little button on the key and " hey presto , the car opens. Why the hell would I want to reach into my pocket , unlock my phone , two handed - one to hold it and one to open with fingerprint, press the app button , I assume it's only one press, so that I can unlock the car WTF.
Its not meant for you grandad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom