Keyless-Go : "key not detected" solution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Hi folks,

Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you solve it?

d4bd97d98c0db5ee8ee4522cc84e3094.jpg

* Background
After a week the Keyless Go on my new W222 packed up. There are a lot of threads on this subject for various models (it is a common issue apparently!) in various forums, split into two kinds of solutions: DIY and non-DIY, usually main dealer. I'm loathe to take the car in for warranty work unless I really have to, as I have a worry that, in fixing this with a software update or sensor replacement, they'll break something else. And the car is working perfectly apart from this. So I'm prepared to promptly exhaust the DIY options.

Incidentally, both new keys stopped working at the same time whilst we stopped for lunch, indicating, but not proving, it's the car, not the keys. Initially I thought I'd drained my key battery with the (ironically) per-key Keyless-Go disabling as a security measure when away from the car.

Here's what I have done so far.
* replaced the key batteries (the 2016 W222 has one battery per key, easily accessed and the manual says how)
* all permutations of key ensure/disable.

I'm thinking about resetting all user settings on the car via COMAND if possible. A pain, as I've synced up a lot of data (media, contacts, POIs).

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Take it to Mercedes, faults need to be logged. If other things go wrong at a later stage then it is always best to have a complete and documented history.

As to worrying they will break something, you are over thinking this, Mercedes made it, they should know best and to try playing around yourself may give them wriggle room under the warranty.

Take it to Mercedes, faults need to be logged. If other things go wrong at a later stage then it is always best to have a complete and documented history.

As to worrying they will break something, you are over thinking this, Mercedes made it, they should know best and to try playing around yourself may give them wriggle room under the warranty.
Thanks for the advice, it made me reconsider things. Decided after if finally taken the new car photos for my album to seeing the local dealer to where i am now. It's Belgian and they speak French, which i do a little. Their next slot is in a weeks time. They said they had not seen this error and the mechanic took a photo of the displayed error, as i had done. So hopefully they will be able to tell me the cause when they go up their diagnostics.

Before going in I used the in-car call button (#6) to MB info.
145c4cdfe2696afd2d243d008ff64ec9.jpg
Although I was calling from Belgium the call was answered by a Brit (I guess the car is configured for the MB UK phone number). After describing the fault in detail the agent said it wasn't a known fault, but that I probably wasn't the first person to report it! That got an immediate hit on my self-contradictory radar. No point in repeating the whole conversation here, but I'll say I was not impressed with the service on this experience.

sometimes if there is a Metal keyring it can cause the error

Seriously, stop messing around. Just take it back in.

Seriously, stop messing around. Just take it back in.
Um, I already did. As mentioned in last post, the dealer looked at the error, then booked my car in, earliest​, for next week.

I had it twice, but assumed it was because I stored the key in close proximity to my iPhone, but you have it on the steering column.

In my case simply getting out of the car, locking the car and unlocking it with the remote (rather than keyless go) sorted it for me.

If you still can't start the car and you need to move off, you can remove the cover to the key hole in the dash, and manually insert the key and twist it in the traditional fashion to get you A to B until the keyless problem is sorted.

That's how we were able to get moving after a stop in Bruges. Until i looked i it up in the PDF manual I'd downloaded on my phone, I hadn't stopped to think that the Stop/Start button actually is (and must be) removable.

Feels old school now using the key like my old Saab

Went over the border into Germany this week and got it fixed there. The garage couldn't find the root cause initially, then decided to replace the Keyless-Go control unit. I was a bit worried they'd have too much of the car apart, inadvertently creating new problems, but on the drive home so far so good.

Here's a few pics from the visit
http://www.MBClub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=221990

I use 2016 E220d w213 ,the same problem first happened to my car last week. I found the answer to solve this problem.
By removing the main battery positive (+) socket out and put it back again. Then the problem was all gone.!!!
My car can be started again and the warning message has disappeared.

Last edited:
Is work !! Just unplug the (+) from you main battery and wait 2 min and plug it back and the problem is fixed. thank me later

Attachments

• 15996797118644107149405240312673.jpg
    15996797118644107149405240312673.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 15996797290178399745763904937252.jpg
    15996797290178399745763904937252.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 15996797471332777426212263877750.jpg
    15996797471332777426212263877750.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
That is interesting. It must have the been rolling security codes getting out of sync.

Hi folks,

Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you solve it?

d4bd97d98c0db5ee8ee4522cc84e3094.jpg

* Background
After a week the Keyless Go on my new W222 packed up. There are a lot of threads on this subject for various models (it is a common issue apparently!) in various forums, split into two kinds of solutions: DIY and non-DIY, usually main dealer. I'm loathe to take the car in for warranty work unless I really have to, as I have a worry that, in fixing this with a software update or sensor replacement, they'll break something else. And the car is working perfectly apart from this. So I'm prepared to promptly exhaust the DIY options.

Incidentally, both new keys stopped working at the same time whilst we stopped for lunch, indicating, but not proving, it's the car, not the keys. Initially I thought I'd drained my key battery with the (ironically) per-key Keyless-Go disabling as a security measure when away from the car.

Here's what I have done so far.
* replaced the key batteries (the 2016 W222 has one battery per key, easily accessed and the manual says how)
* all permutations of key ensure/disable.

I'm thinking about resetting all user settings on the car via COMAND if possible. A pain, as I've synced up a lot of data (media, contacts, POIs).

I'm using a 2019 Sprinter long wheelbase van for work at the moment. Battery in the key fob was running low. Needed a lithium battery - CR 2032 Slim - for the key. Changed the battery in the fob but the dash showed " key not detected". There was a message that came up that said the key had to be inserted in a special place - refer to owners manual. I searched the manual but couldn't see it. RAC man came out and eventually we found a special compartment underneath the cigarette lighter / charging point. Inserted the key and "voila" the van sprang to life. Don't know if other Mercs have this special compartment but RAC man said the Jags and Land Rovers have something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom