Keyless Go keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is a 52 plate car.
I may just give Hughes of Beaconsfield a ring and ask the question.
Also, does anyone know of a useful email address at MB head office UK that I could contact?

Tony

Ok gonna perhaps ask a silly question here, keyless go key, is this something like keyless entry and start? I've a W211 06 with chrome key how do I know if mines keyless go? Would I have a start button on dash? Once again sorry for the silly question and gate crash

^ There is a stop start button on top of the gear shift if you have keyless go.

I ordered a non-chrome keyless go key just a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be fully programmed from the dealer, however the keyless go part did not function. I have a star system, I checked and the new key needed to be assigned to channel 1 (my other working key was on channel 2). I made the changes and the keyless function immediately worked properly. My dealer (MB Nottingham) seemed to have no understanding of the channel allocations..... However it was only a five minute job to get it working!
I can't see how a new key from the dealer can ever work on keyless go without coding to channel 1 or 2....... The original keys supplied with the car from new have these channels allocated and at least one of them needs to be 'removed' in order for the new key to work properly (ie keyless functions). These changes are made on the car rather than the new key......

Paul G

I ordered a non-chrome keyless go key just a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be fully programmed from the dealer, however the keyless go part did not function. I have a star system, I checked and the new key needed to be assigned to channel 1 (my other working key was on channel 2). I made the changes and the keyless function immediately worked properly. My dealer (MB Nottingham) seemed to have no understanding of the channel allocations..... However it was only a five minute job to get it working!
I can't see how a new key from the dealer can ever work on keyless go without coding to channel 1 or 2....... The original keys supplied with the car from new have these channels allocated and at least one of them needs to be 'removed' in order for the new key to work properly (ie keyless functions). These changes are made on the car rather than the new key......

Paul G

I paid Hughes for my new, chrome, KG key on 28 September 2015. Just the key, and the emergency (iron) key. The parts man did say it might need a few presses before it worked, but first press was enough; no Star session, no workshop visit. I've been using it ever since.

This...+1

Sounds very much like the stealer has no clue on this topic...and will not spend anymore time on a £300 key fob with very little profit margin.

Op - Ask to speak with the dealer principle, if you get no solution then this...

Mercedes Benz UK Milton Keynes customer service enquiries, call us on 0800 9777 7777 and +44 (0) 207 660 9993

Alternatively, e-mail us at:

or your dealer either is incompetent, or has lifted your leg, or has screwed up something and can't/doesn't know how to unscrew it, and is now telling you fibs in the hope you will go away.
Chat with the service manager time, perhaps?

Last edited:
I have just emailed MB asking them to clarify the situation.

Going back to E55BOF's post, all the button functions on the new key will work fine without coding on a new key. Your dealer just looks at the next available 'slot' in the EIS based on keys previously supplied for your car and code a new key to that 'slot'.
Keyless go is a different thing altogether. Unless they have changed the system in recent years (my car is a 2005 model and it's quite likely based on previous posts that the key allocation systems have changed), you can only have 2 active keyless go keys. You can have up to 15 (if I remember correctly) non keyless go keys that will all work perfectly (ignition, locking buttons etc). If you have to replace a keyless go key you have to 'remove' from the EIS coding one of the existing keyless go allocated keys in order to add another.
To clarify this, when I use the expression 'keyless go' I mean the MB system where - providing the key is on your person - you don't need to press any buttons to get into the locked car, you just touch the handle and the car unlocks. You then press the start button to start the engine....... At no time do you touch the key......
Hope this makes things clearer!
Paul G

Last edited:
Have you made an appointment to speak with the dealer principle on this matter? I would envisage MB customer service will ask if you have tried this step...who is the dealer?

I have just emailed MB asking them to clarify the situation.

Last edited:
It is MB Taunton.
I will contact them and ask to speak to the dealer principle on Monday.

Mention the MB forum, tell him its a running thread on the issues you are encountering, and print off the notes on the thread regarding fob channel segment coding...other members have had no issues regarding recent keyless fob replacement W211:thumb:...if they still have issues maybe suggest there techs come on here for advice:rolleyes:

It is MB Taunton.

Last edited:
Any news on the mysterious keyless fob?

It is MB Taunton.

Finally got a reply from MB head office.
Their technical department have confirmed that they no longer supply the plastic keyless go keys.

So I have a nice chrome key that is not keyless go and a plastic one that is.

Tony

MB are probably not interested in older stuff like this....I think the confusion was as yours is early W211 2002MY you should have the early plastic keyless go card, i had this on my old CL500 W215, from the other side thread it seems from 2003MY W211 keyless was integrated into the chrome key...i see Malcom is checking to see if the keyless card is still available so you might still get sorted:thumb:

Finally got a reply from MB head office.
Their technical department have confirmed that they no longer supply the plastic keyless go keys.

So I have a nice chrome key that is not keyless go and a plastic one that is.

Tony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom