Keyless Go - Stupidity Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
C63 Coupe
Hi All,

Quick question on keyless-go. With this wonder of gadgetry it's possible to get in the car, start the engine and then walk away from the car with the key in your pocket and the car keeps running. If someone else (who didn't have a key) was to then jump in the car would they;

a) be able to put it into drive/reverse
b) be able to drive away and
c) how far could they get

I hope I never get into the situation where this should happen but just curious - especially since I very much doubt insurance would pay out if the car is stolen!

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,
It is stupid I know But when i picked up my E class from a dealer after having some work done the car was brought around to the front of the garage by a driver he jumped out and i got in . Drove the car home 30 miles as i pullled in to my drive way i had a call from the dealer to say the valet parking guy still had my keys . :confused: ( luckily i hadnt turned the ignition of as my spare was at work )

so I turned around and drove all the way back . The dealer couldnt explain what had happend but i allways check that I've got the key in my pocket now before i turn the car off and get out just in case.

Its exactley the same as the renault keyless go on my wifes espace I can start the car when im washing it put the key in my pocket and walk of and the car continues to run and can be driven they wont shut down because of the danger involved in the car shuting down while driving or sitting at a busy junction waiting to turn .

I hope this clears up any of your questions

Andy

There are two distinct outcomes.

1) it runs normally

2) if flashes "key not recognised" and goes into limp mode at some pathetic speed.

I understand that owners of SL have reported "2" and E, CLS have reported "1"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom