Keyless Go troubleshooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

55AMGCLK

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 55 AMG
Hello All

I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot the Keyless Go issues on my in that it just does not work... The car is a CLK W209 convertible.

I do not recall KG ever working but then again I never realised the car had it!

No faults or errors showing up on Icarsoft MBII for EIS/KG. Had a Star scan on done on the car some time back and it reported nothing related to KG.

I have a new key from MB. MB assured me it is pre-programmed for KG. So that rules out the key.

I thought a good start would be to look for the location of the KG control module to see if there was any water damage or corrosion. I could not find it, all info points to it being in the boot on the left hand side. It could be well hidden but I could not see it after removing the trim and carpets. Does anyone know the locations of where everything is for KG?

Would be nice to get it working again...

Thanks in advance....

Are you sure the car has KG?
If you put your VIN in here you can see your build sheet
datamb.com

It looks the same as the W220, if you have KG, there will be a button on all of the door handles:
imagdoorkges.jpg

If you dont have KG, there wont be:
31iafEmyPoL._SL500_.jpg

Has Keyless Go for sure and handles do have the black button as per Steveskeggy pics. Being an AMG it is pretty loaded (not sure if Kg is standard in these)

Be glad it is not working - KeylessGo is a way for thieves to steal cars without the keys and you live in Solihull with an AMG!

Very true Larkone :) if I do get it working will have to take precautions (metal key box) etc.... The car is covered (cannot be asked to clear out garage!) and we are on a closed road so i suppose that helps a little but anyone determined enough will get to it regardless...

What part of KG is not working? Door unlock and or/lock? One or both doors? Ignition on, engine start, engine stop?

As above, have you tried all door handles to see if they lock or unlock the car whilst the key is in your pocket.
It's not unusual for any or all handles to fail at some point. Water ingress behind the rubber inside the handle does the damage.

You say you didn't realise the car had K/Go. Do you not have the chrome button on top of the gearstick engraved Stop/Start?

The handles can be bought from the dealer for around £150 each (last time I looked) and are easy to remove and replace. There is also an outfit in Sweden that can repair the handles and has a quick turnaround.
Welcome to the Frontpage!

Last edited:
The system just seems to be dead, none of the handles do anything (neither doors and nor the boot). Start/Stop used to work fine but that stopped working too.

If one of the handles or boot worked, I would have looked at replacing or repairing the handles. Seems pretty odd and hence I wanted to try and locate the KG control module to make sure there was not corrosion around it.

Not sure if there is any kind of reboot procedure for this.... I have checked all of the fuses (dash, boot and engine bay) using a multi meter and all are good.

As above, have you tried all door handles to see if they lock or unlock the car whilst the key is in your pocket.
It's not unusual for any or all handles to fail at some point. Water ingress behind the rubber inside the handle does the damage.

You say you didn't realise the car had K/Go. Do you not have the chrome button on top of the gearstick engraved Stop/Start?

The handles can be bought from the dealer for around £150 each (last time I looked) and are easy to remove and replace. There is also an outfit in Sweden that can repair the handles and has a quick turnaround.
Welcome to the Frontpage!

Hi AMGeed - yes - start stop did work fine on the car but that stopped working too (was not aware at the time that if I had stop/start I would have had Keyless Go too). Before I went ahead and replaced or repaired the handles, I just thought it is a bit odd that neither the doors and nor the boot work. I suspect the start/stop not working could be an issue with the gear stick as I do not get any messages on the dash.

Last edited:
Hi AMGeed - yes - start stop did work fine on the car but that stopped working too (was not aware at the time that of I had stop/start I would have had Keyless Go too). Before I went ahead and replaced or repaired the handles, I just thought it is a bit odd that neither the doors and nor the boot work. I suspect the start/stop not working could be an issue with the gear stick as I do not get any messages on the dash.

The connecting pins on the stop start button can get bent and make it non operational.
As you are in Solihull, I'd book a Star session at MSL Performance in Smallheath and that will tell you if the module/ handles or button are faulty. It isn't something you can guess.

Can KG be disabled via the cluster menus?
I'd say you need another STAR session..

Do you double press the lock button on the fob?

This turns off the key less entry which may explain why the doors don't unlock when you put your hand in the handle.

The connecting pins on the stop start button can get bent and make it non operational.
As you are in Solihull, I'd book a Star session at MSL Performance in Smallheath and that will tell you if the module/ handles or button are faulty. It isn't something you can guess.

I will get it booked in for a Star session. You are right, cannot really guess what is going on. The last star session was a while ago it was a generic scan, it did not show any faults on EIS or KG. But tbh I did not ask them to go into the KG module for a deep dive, I think this will start showing where the problem is.

Do you double press the lock button on the fob?

This turns off the key less entry which may explain why the doors don't unlock when you put your hand in the handle.

No Mike, I made sure I was single pressing only.

Run it through STAR, there are various tests they can run in the Keyless Go system.

Strange for the boot handle to not work, these don’t often fail, it’s more to do with the trunk wiring failing. The handles are standard and a common failure item.

Thanks guys, I did read somewhere that Keyless Go can be turned off in STAR and I will have this checked as well.

I do have icarsoft mbII and had a play with that yesterday it does appear to read the status of the handles and KG buttons. Everything was showing as 'Off", I tried pressing the buttons to see if it will change the status but it did not.

Next step will be a full diag on STAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom