Keyless ignition

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
I am reading that Amazon and e-bay are selling a device that can copy your key and start a keyless car, surely this should be illegal?

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
I am reading that Amazon and e-bay are selling a device that can copy your key and start a keyless car, surely this should be illegal?
"For off road use only".........

Well they also sell LED headlamps and video-in-motion unlockers....

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
Since keyless go was introduced car crime has tripled. IMO, never buy a car with keyless go. This issue has been in the press for a long time and it is getting worse.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5

Since keyless go was introduced car crime has tripled. IMO, never buy a car with keyless go. This issue has been in the press for a long time and it is getting worse.
Should have said car crime has increased by a third not tripled, I got carried away there!

ExW205and204

Car
W205
If I'm leaving my car when the keys are nearby, i.e outside my house I just disable the keyless entry with a double tap of the lock button.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
Staggered to find that he double bleep of the lock button disables the keyless go even on my 12 year old cls55! Then do it again to reinstate......Not that anyone would want to steel such an old vehicle of course. At least not for 20 years when it may be worth a fortune.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
By removing the start stop button, (simply pull it out) if anyone did gain entry, they would not be able to start the car. Or would they?

ExW205and204

Car
W205
By removing the start stop button, (simply pull it out) if anyone did gain entry, they would not be able to start the car. Or would they?

I've looked at that and I couldn't work a way to start the car, without risk damaging the ignition.

However, by removing the button any thief would look at the car and without the button removed would assume it's not a keyless car and walk on to the next victim.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
Yes, I've only had the car a couple of weeks but the button remains at home, also when at home the car is locked in the garage, always had to use ignition key in past so this is no different for me.
Just had a look on eBay and start buttons can be bought by all from £27, sort of defeats my argument really

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
The buttons on the door handles rather give it away.....

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
Staggered to find that he double bleep of the lock button disables the keyless go even on my 12 year old cls55! Then do it again to reinstate......Not that anyone would want to steel such an old vehicle of course. At least not for 20 years when it may be worth a fortune.
So is this pressing the lock button twice likely to work on my 15 year old R230? I hadn't planned on buying a car with keyless go and I was quite happy in my ignorance thinking it should have had a card with it so it didn't work anyway. It's hard to imagine my disappointment when the main dealer told mine was in the key itself and demonstrated it works perfectly ! :(

Petrol Pete

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Keyless go. Something no one asked for but they did anyway. It started (pun intended) years ago so posh Gits could walk up to their car and simply open the door start the engine and drive away, showing us Plebs just how inferior we were.

A bit like that engine 'stop /start' Bollokcs . Waste of time and technology.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
We rather liked the keyless entry on our Jaguar XF and when we got our CLS we missed nothing having it but after seeing the stats on car theft with keyless cars we’re quite happy not to have it.

The manufacturers need to address this properly when designing their new models.

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
But to gain entry you have to press the unlock symbol on the fob, this then reinstates the "keyless Go" function so it's back to square One. So how do you stop the "Tea leaves" from nicking your lovely bit of swag ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom