Keyless ignition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
I am reading that Amazon and e-bay are selling a device that can copy your key and start a keyless car, surely this should be illegal?

I am reading that Amazon and e-bay are selling a device that can copy your key and start a keyless car, surely this should be illegal?
"For off road use only".........

Well they also sell LED headlamps and video-in-motion unlockers....

Since keyless go was introduced car crime has tripled. IMO, never buy a car with keyless go. This issue has been in the press for a long time and it is getting worse.

Since keyless go was introduced car crime has tripled. IMO, never buy a car with keyless go. This issue has been in the press for a long time and it is getting worse.
Should have said car crime has increased by a third not tripled, I got carried away there!

If I'm leaving my car when the keys are nearby, i.e outside my house I just disable the keyless entry with a double tap of the lock button.

Staggered to find that he double bleep of the lock button disables the keyless go even on my 12 year old cls55! Then do it again to reinstate......Not that anyone would want to steel such an old vehicle of course. At least not for 20 years when it may be worth a fortune.

By removing the start stop button, (simply pull it out) if anyone did gain entry, they would not be able to start the car. Or would they?

By removing the start stop button, (simply pull it out) if anyone did gain entry, they would not be able to start the car. Or would they?

I've looked at that and I couldn't work a way to start the car, without risk damaging the ignition.

However, by removing the button any thief would look at the car and without the button removed would assume it's not a keyless car and walk on to the next victim.

Yes, I've only had the car a couple of weeks but the button remains at home, also when at home the car is locked in the garage, always had to use ignition key in past so this is no different for me.
Just had a look on eBay and start buttons can be bought by all from £27, sort of defeats my argument really

The buttons on the door handles rather give it away.....

Staggered to find that he double bleep of the lock button disables the keyless go even on my 12 year old cls55! Then do it again to reinstate......Not that anyone would want to steel such an old vehicle of course. At least not for 20 years when it may be worth a fortune.
So is this pressing the lock button twice likely to work on my 15 year old R230? I hadn't planned on buying a car with keyless go and I was quite happy in my ignorance thinking it should have had a card with it so it didn't work anyway. It's hard to imagine my disappointment when the main dealer told mine was in the key itself and demonstrated it works perfectly ! :(

Keyless go. Something no one asked for but they did anyway. It started (pun intended) years ago so posh Gits could walk up to their car and simply open the door start the engine and drive away, showing us Plebs just how inferior we were.

A bit like that engine 'stop /start' Bollokcs . Waste of time and technology.

We rather liked the keyless entry on our Jaguar XF and when we got our CLS we missed nothing having it but after seeing the stats on car theft with keyless cars we’re quite happy not to have it.

The manufacturers need to address this properly when designing their new models.

But to gain entry you have to press the unlock symbol on the fob, this then reinstates the "keyless Go" function so it's back to square One. So how do you stop the "Tea leaves" from nicking your lovely bit of swag ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom