Keyless start E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benji1987

Car
W211 E55 AMG
hello!

I have an E55 W211 with a keyless start on top of the gear knob.
How does it work!?! I have tried multiple ways and when I press the button it does nothing.
I have checked the connection underneath which is fine.
Can someone enlighten me?

You need to
1) have the keys with you
2) have the brake pedal pressed when pressing the start button

Nothing will happen if you have put the key in the ignition.
You probably knew that anyway but just in case.

Yep I get in with they key on me, don’t put it in the ignition. Foot on the brake and press the button and nothing. No message displayed either.
Does it work off the normal keys or does it need to be a specific key?

does the keyless entry work ok (lock and unlock with the buttons on the doors)?

I don’t think this is a key issue as there should be a message on the dash for ‘key not recognised’ or similar if the key/battery etc was at fault.

If the keyless entry etc is working okay I suspect it’s an issue with the button on the shifter?

Probably best to get it checked out on STAR?

Early cars came with a card. Later ones had it integrated with the key.

Also, you have to press and hold, not press and release momentarily.

Even in cars with the card it should give a message for key/keycard not recognised if the push start button is working?

I believe so Will.

Another possibility is someone disconnected the button. The gater/surround trim is only pushed in and can be lifted from around the ashtray side. Check for any loose plugs underneath.

Mine had Keyless, never saw it working...just ‘key not recognised’

Mine had Keyless, never saw it working...just ‘key not recognised’

I get that message when the key batteries need replacing. But the Keyless button always works.

As Will suggests, I fancy the button itself is faulty.

Never had a 'keyless' car but BBC Watchdog did a feature on them this week, and following that, I don't ever want one! But, it did reveal that some cars come with an option to switch the keyless function off, would this be the case with the OP?

Never had a 'keyless' car but BBC Watchdog did a feature on them this week, and following that, I don't ever want one! But, it did reveal that some cars come with an option to switch the keyless function off, would this be the case with the OP?

Not aware of this on early 211s, have heard that you can disable this from the key on newer cars though.

I believe so Will.

Another possibility is someone disconnected the button. The gater/surround trim is only pushed in and can be lifted from around the ashtray side. Check for any loose plugs underneath.

+1

There are 2 pins beneath the gear lever. I'd recommend to check the connection.
You can remove the surround trim by pulling it out carefully, rotate the black plastic trim that holds the gear lever and check if it sits tight, or push the gear lever down.

Some pics to understand:

How to remove and install keyless Go shifter! - MBWorld.org Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom