Keys locked in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex L

Car
2011 - C63 Estate
So the other half has taken her sister and sister's kids away for the bank holiday weekend in the C63 Estate. Her sister cleverly put the keys in the boot and pressed the button to close it so they're now locked out.

They're 200 miles from home and not on the mainland UK so there's no way I'm driving the spare set of keys to them.

RAC have been out and say the door seals are too tight to get the airbags in.

Anyone else resolved this situation?

Smash the smallest window seems the only way, unless someone has a better idea, a broken window is better than damaging the door frame.

The car alarm will go off when a door is opened, unlocking the car with the remote or putting the remote into ignition will silence the alarm.

Dec

Shouldn't you have Mobilo cover?? I'm sure the MB tech would have a easy way in..

As long as the car is serviced at an MB dealership.

Thanks, I've called Mobilo who don't have any technicians available out of hours anyhow. If RAC and the locksmith can't get in tomorrow morning I'll call Mobilo back and get a technician out, the chap on the phone said they can't guarantee a way in and one option may end up damaging a light cluster.

Alternatively they will recover to a dealership and give her a loan car for 3 days

Alex L said:
So the other half has taken her sister and sister's kids away for the bank holiday weekend in the C63 Estate. Her sister cleverly put the keys in the boot and pressed the button to close it so they're now locked out. They're 200 miles from home and not on the mainland UK so there's no way I'm driving the spare set of keys to them. RAC have been out and say the door seals are too tight to get the airbags in. Anyone else resolved this situation?

Just rip the door off with a forklift and have it replaced when you get home seems the most obvious way!!

I knew someone who had a range rover sport that locked keys in car. It literally took a locksmith under a minute to get in with no damage at all. I won't say exactly how he done it. I'll just say a battery and a couple of other bits n that was all it took. Think your best off with a decent locksmith. Or at the last resort like said, smash smallest window.

RAC and locksmith returning this morning, if they can't get in will call Mobilo. Failing both of those I'll special delivery the spare keys to her and tell her sister not to go anywhere near the car again.

On the SL the boot will not close if the keys are in it, I assumed all modern mercs would be the same. Maybe it's only on keyless go

On the SL the boot will not close if the keys are in it, I assumed all modern mercs would be the same. Maybe it's only on keyless go

I think this may only be keyless go, as my boot or doors wont lock if the key card is still inside the car.

Though on the other hand, if it did lock, it should just re-open itself quite easily as the card is still near the car, hhhmmm.

Unfortunately ours doesn't have keyless go, unlike my BMW which is impossible to lock the keys in. Locksmith will be there in 10 mins and reckons he can get in without damaging the car.

Mobilo are on standby and from what I understand will collect the spare keys and take them too her 133 miles away, including a ferry ride!

If she was on the mainland UK, I'd just drive the spare keys down.

Watch this space...

Boots self locking seems a completely stupid idea to me - I can't think why they need to do that.

Mobilo are on standby and from what I understand will collect the spare keys and take them too her 133 miles away, including a ferry ride!

I did read a story a few years (which I think was a publicity thing for Mobilo) of a woman who locked herself out of her A Class at Disneyland Paris. MB picked up her spare key and flew a guy out there with it. He then drove her home.

Update, the locksmith got in by picking the lock.

Thanks for the tip on Mobilo, they are extremely helpful and went out of their way to assist. No waiting to speak to anyone and very friendly, why can't all breakdown companies be like them

Plenty moan on here about retaining fmbsh, well worth it for mobilo.

Update, the locksmith got in by picking the lock.

That's good news, but slightly worrying too - I thought it was considered impossible. Why do breakdown companies want to force a door or smash something?

Any idea how long it took?

About 2 mins for the locksmith to get in apparently. I'll be interested to hear from the other half as to how he did it and what tools he used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom