Keys - Quick question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamUK

Car
E320 Sport Facelift Model
Hi,

I sold my 2006 (facelift) e320 about 5 months back..

i have just found the 2 keys that had been lost for over 1 year...

How much are these keys worth? can i sell them?

Dont have the contact details for the person who bought my car - also i reduced the price as i sold the car with one key..

Anyone?

thanks

..anyone??

264 views - no reply.. hmm

Some clown on eBay will buy them thinking he can reprogramme them.

Personally , I'd make the effort to get in touch with the buyer , karma will repay you eventually. What goes around and all that !

As above sell on ebay will be your best bet.

Take them to a police station,with the cars reg,I am sure they will find the owner,plus you will have the satisfaction of doing the right thing,better than a few bob of ebay.

you must of kept details of the buyer? If not, then hand them into police. They then may or may not decide to match them up with the new owner, but youll have done the correct thing

Pay the dvla £2.50 and they'll give you the current owners details.

And try not to be stroppy when no-one replies to your thread; it's not big and it's not clever.

buyer knocked me down £350 when he bought the car - because i had only one key..

even if i did find the details the buyer would not be ready to pay me any money..

Pay the dvla £2.50 and they'll give you the current owners details.

And try not to be stroppy when no-one replies to your thread; it's not big and it's not clever.

I did not realise DVLA would do this..? can i pay £2.50 to get anyone details using the reg number?

SamUK said:
I did not realise DVLA would do this..? can i pay £2.50 to get anyone details using the reg number?

I've a feeling you need to have a valid reason and there's a form to fill in. Would have thought this would count though...all you want to do is pass on some property that would have gone with the car if you had been able to find it.

buyer knocked me down £350 when he bought the car - because i had only one key..

even if i did find the details the buyer would not be ready to pay me any money..

If you had both keys,he would of found another reason to bargain with you,that's what good buyers do.

The keys are programmed to the car and cannot be reprogrammed from what I know.

Hence, you can either sell them on ebay to some unsuspecting buyer, or get in touch with the car's buyer....

You could offer him the two keys for the £350 he took off the price, getting keys made isn't cheap...

M.

SamUK......Everyone has their own way of doing things in life but if it were me, and if it's true that the keys can't be re-programmed to suit another car, then it is not fair to advertise them for sale on eBay or anywhere else with that knowledge in the hope that someone else might fall for the trick.
I understand your question though but if you were happy with the deal you struck when selling the car (and I'll assume you were or you wouldn't have sold it) then forget about the keys or pass them on to the new owner. If you can't bring yourself to do that then put them back in the cupboard you found them in.
Just my opinion and it isn't intended to annoy anyone.

Last edited:

A new key costs £227 the last time I looked, how did he get to £350?

Or was that how much in total you knocked off the price of the car?

SamUK......Everyone has their own way of doing things in life but if it were me, and if it's true that the keys can't be re-programmed to suit another car, then it is not fair to advertise them for sale on eBay or anywhere else with that knowledge in the hope that someone else might fall for the trick.
I understand your question though but if you were happy with the deal you struck when selling the car (and I'll assume you were or you wouldn't have sold it) then forget about the keys or pass them on to the new owner. If you can't bring yourself to do that then put them back in the cupboard you found them in.
Just my opinion and it isn't intended to annoy anyone.

I agree with this .............however:D. People do buy old Merc keys on eBay simply to use the case to replace a damaged one. As long as it's made clear the key cannot be reprogramed to use in another car, I see no problem in selling it on if the present owner can't be traced.

You can buy the shells from Alibaba for $5 , if you aren't in a rush ?

Give them to me and the reg of the car that they fit, I'll sort it out for you!!!

Give them to me and the reg of the car that they fit, I'll sort it out for you!!!

Don't forget to make a film...Gone in 60 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom